The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest electro

free growing cubensis

Guest electro

are there any places where p.cubensis grow wild in north or western sydney ? (penrith windsor richmond etc ?)

I am aware of sub relatives in the blue mountains through to oberon, but cubensis i am very unsure of.

also what conditions do they prefer ? (ie near streams etc)

thanks

[ 30. March 2005, 13:58: Message edited by: electro ]

You missed the main habitat.

Piles of cowshit. Lok for big lots of cows and you have a good chance of finding mushrooms... not aware of western burbs though.

And No I wouldnt trust wild prints I dont even trust "domestic" prints.

Guest electro

lol thanks.

I omitted the cow part coz being dung dwellers i thought it was a given that you would look for a manuer rich area. Thankyou though, had i not known about it the gnome down the road would have been up a creek with no paddle.

[ 30. March 2005, 13:57: Message edited by: electro ]

Nah theres none of that really. I have seen panaeolus cyanescens growing directly off water buffalo pats in a paddock of red earth in the northern territory. No trees, definitely no shade and no grass.

Thats my observation anyway.

to find them in the wild i think you have to go a bit further north and west a bit

i know armidale has a big mushroom population that grow wild. but generally northern NSW and QLD so you have to go for a bit of a drive :)

Hey ppl I'm in the hunter valley(200km+ north of sydney) sounds like I could find some p. Cubensis or P. Cyanescens ?? in my area pretty soon. I did manage to find a few Subs in the colder months up here 2.

Do you think the fruiting season would have started here ?? Only one way to find out I guess :)

Originally posted by electro:

[QB] are there any places where p.cubensis grow wild in north or western sydney ? (penrith windsor richmond etc/)

the answer is yes, they are in western sydney. i know of several locations where cubies grow wild. took me 2 odd years 2 find them though, so goodluck. your on the right track location wise. :) dirt

While not as easy as transplanting subs

rumour has it that cubes can be sown into areas of suitable habitat

If the mycelium was already on grain like millet that breaks up easily, or on anything really then walking around a paddock before, during or straight after rain, picling up older remoistened pats and sprinkling colonised material underneath then tamping down the pats again

Im told that growth starts within 24 hours and after which it should cat like a regualr cubensis colony, growing with moisture, then when the colony is large enough and it rains over a few days - fruiting

Great idea for fields that have been overpicked, overfertilised, understocked or otherwise damaged

or else are just conveniently close

The spore drop from the resulting mushrooms should help reestablish the patch - especially if the spawn is a clone of the local substrain or one from nearby

If the climate is wrong youll get mycelial growth with little ofr no fruiting and no persistence - youd need to considera new type of mushroom for that climate and situation