The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
madhva

yep that's them alright

thanks for uploading the photos they are the little guys I found out at the bottom of a huge hill near fedral one rainy afternoon a month ago i picked hundreds of em

will send some photos taken with my new digital bloody brilliant these new gizmo's very convenient to use also tried making some prints of the larger cubensis variety I left some tops on some A4 paper overnight the next day I had over a dozen black prints bloody amazing how many spores come out of those gills ! I touches one of them to see if it has soaked into the paper but it was unstable & smudged so i gave them all a light spray this water this seemed to do the trick once dried they are now stored inside the cover of a book like pressed flowers please let me know if I have done anything wrong as far as the process of making & storing prints as this is a first try

It really depends on what you want the prints for. If you only want them for identification purposes then that would be fine... but if one were to theoretically want to grow mushrooms for the spores (who would do an illegal thing like that?) then it would make it harder as they are probably unsterile..

For information of a shroomic nature try www.shroomery.org

Cultivation requires a sterile culture which is possible only from the most sterile printing techniques possible with a wild print.

This leads me to ask this question..

I have prints taken in unsterile conditions of Panaeolus cyanescens... I am hoping I will be able to Isolate the Panaeolus on agar... Will this work??

I understand that if successful it will probably take a few transfers and alot of contaminated petris before I can isolate a pure strain...??

minimal amount of spores possible on one petri

use streaking technique

that is flame the innoculation wire and touch to agar - it should melt a tiny bit

touch the moist wire to the print where spores will adhere

rub the spores across one section of the outer plate

rotate 60 degrees, flame loop, cool and smear through the dark line across the plate

repeat etc...

each time you smear your effecting a serial dilution of the spores so that the most dilute will give you some space between the contaminants and the mushroom

2 options

if the culture explodes into a multitude of different growths and colours then you want to isolate the fungi asap

so transfer colonies to their own plates or a sectioned plate (quadrants) and obsevre closely and often- sub as soon as you know whats what

other option if its fairly clean

leave it to over grow , age and fruit

clone these tiny fruits onto peroxidated agar

now if you dont have a basic idea already , then what ive said is unintelligible

go get a copy of

oss and oeric ' magic mushroom cultivator' , or stamets and chiltons 'the mushroom cultivator' - amazon has it

good pictures on isolating from spores

if you can its better to clone from tissue of the wild shroom then use its spores grown in a cleaner environment to grow with.

I have a very basic understanding of what you have mentioned about the streaking technique you described.. I can't remember where I saw it....

I COULD use fruits if i wanted to wait until next season... not very likely thanks reville.. hopefully If I see you at the BBQ/Picnic you can help me on the finer points. :D