The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shroomy

myceilum and light

A good friend of mine managed to inoculate some half pint jars last week and now there is lots of myceilum growing throughout the substrate, only problem is he is so excited and facinated by such an event he cant stop peaking at the growing cycle, would this constant peaking and exsposing the myceilum to light be harmful to the fungus?

I hope that's "peeking", Shroomy. :P

If your friend were "peaking" I'd have to begin to worry that they were breaking the law.

[ 25. February 2003, 20:56: Message edited by: Gwydion ]

Guest electro

i dont know for sure ,,,,

but id think it's best not to, BUT a little peeking now n then probably isnt going to harm it...

just dont leave it out because it might decide it's time to fruit too early

depending on the strain, they may pin early before the myc has fully over run the substrate

but, no harm

tell yourself, um to tell your friend, to restrict your peeking to every 3 days or something..you'll be even more astonished by the changes then...? i dunno

so you think by (peaking) i um i mean my friend might be counting he,s chickens before they hatch

Cubensis mycelia responds to light by forming primordia so light is necessary in fruiting them.

if the substrate isnt fully colonised in some circumstances they may pin early, but this is unusual. Shouldnt cause too many problems.

If this strain is from the print that my friend gave to your friend then you shouldnt have any problems with early pinning. My friends friend sais he's never seen them pin in jars even a week after full colonisation. With that strain, your friend should expect serious pinnage post jar evac. Good to hear its working out for your friend :)

Yeah... a freind of mine is doin the same thing... I keep trying to tell him to "stop it!".... But he does not listen...

My friend does not listen either. He leaves his jars in indirect light pretty much all the time, and has never had the problem of premature pinning.

RIghton - if the substrate aint colonised, generally it wont pin.