The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Monkey Shines

ratio of agar:brown rice malt extract

Guest Monkey Shines

I ordered some pre-poured agar plates from MMA just before they closed. Instead I got some un-poured plates, a bag labelled AGAR

with some white powder and another bag with brownish powder labelled brown rice malt extract. When I make the agar solution should I use a mixture of them and what ratio?

I'll find out tomorrow for you if no-one else replies.

Basically the Agar is only there to set your stuff. From memory I think 10% agar to water solidifies. But I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

kai.

Actually its only 1%.

But for things at work that have agar as part of its ingredients, it is normally 1.5%.

i.e it had 1.5grams of agar per 100grams of other ingredients.

I went to a Merck seminar a couple of months ago and remember the guy was talking about it and he reckons some manufacterers use crappier agar than others. Something about the cost of labour where they get the seaweed from(Off the NW coast of Africa)

anyway, I'd go for about 5%, unless its pure agar, or just try a bit. Boil up 1-2 gram per 100mls of water and see if it sets.

l8r kai.

well i think his baggies were made for 500ml of water - i just guess the ratios usually as i doesnt matter if the nutrients are lower than the agar content, but too much agar inhibits growth.