The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest saucer-like

wierd,wierd, shroom!

Guest saucer-like

Recently walking in a sunshine-coast National Park, I came across a very large, very red mushroom that stained bright blue with even the slightest touch. It was a spongy one underneath ( instead of gills )What amazed me was the intensity of the staining-about ten times bluer than a gold top. I can't yet identify it. I wonder if it is psyco-active. I also have some beautiful glowing mushrooms in my old fishtank. I know some people wanted some but i dont know who. Free ofcourse.

Glowing mushrooms. I'm interested!!!

What conditions do they need to grow? Woodlovers? Compost? coprophiles?

Does the mycelium glow as well? http://www.fungi.com/info/articles/luminescent.html

E D

I've had som very weird experiences with a different blue-staining bolete in SW WA. I'd try eating a tiny (say 1cm cube or smaller), fresh, bit and wait for about a week. If you don't get any adverse reactions, maybe up the dose by half and wait again. This way you should be able to pick up any bad vibes without getting killed (or worse). I had subtle yet very weird effects from about 2 cubic centimetres of the bolete i ate. Might have been placebo... but i'd like to hear other peoples descriptions of bolete experiences before i put my words in their head.

Guest auto302823
Originally posted by Fractalhead:

I had subtle yet very weird effects from about 2 cubic centimetres of the bolete i ate.

Well, do tell ... do tell ...

I'm not sure if it got lost in the Great Server Fiasco, but there was an old thread on my bolete experience and there was mention of a Cortinarius experience also but the focus was kept on the bolete. I'd rather hear an unbiased description of effects than tell someone what i experienced before they try it because if what i experienced wasn't just placebo then it was kind of subtle and might be easy to describe in a biased way.

When i hear what happens to our friend Saucer, i will tell about my experience. Hopefully we'll find some sort of correlation. wink.gif I came to the conclusion that the bolete was active 'before' i'd ever heard of Boletus manicus or any other psychoactive Boletales. I really want to find out more about these strange fungi and their effects because for some reason i feel they have a special significance to a series of events and places in my life that seem to be linked together...

its hard to explain, but i'd rather wait and hear what saucer has to say...

Guest keynell B

"I also have some beautiful glowing mushrooms in my old fishtank."

The irony of one recent visit to psilobistosis near malaney Qld was being in the centre of a forest almost pitch black with rain crashing down, and spotting this glowing spot in the distance, quickly investigating to find it was a glowing mushroom, boy did it make me happy.

key

We once found a type of Mycena (generally not poisonous) that stained blue/black at the base - but a bioassay of the mushroom gave no noticable effect and it did not have the bitter taste/smell often associated with Psilocybin bearing fungi.

There are a number of genus that do have reports of both blue staining and high toxicity - be careful.

There was a guy recentally selling cultures of a glowing mushroom's mycelia on the Shroomery

Hey, Saucer-like,

I'd certainly be interested in some of your glowing mycelium/spores whatever.

How long have you had it? Difficult to cultivate? I've had experience of growing the Psilocybe (in a country where it is a criminal offense)

I think I mentioned an interest in a much older post, but seeing that picture (thx E.D) made me drool. Never seen anything like it, 'cept under UV etc..

Cheers Kai.

You gonna have to tell us a bit more about it as well. When does it glow? How do you keep it going/living, how often does it flush. Does the mycelia glow, or the caps or both.

(still drooling)

Anyone know what mushroom this is?

k.

[This message has been edited by squiresk (edited 13 June 2002).]

Guest saucer-like

I first came across these glowing wonders at mount warning, hiking at 3 redface.gifo am (to watch the sun rise etc) I've found it hard to get any info on them but to my great delight I found them growing all up our minature date palms - they've been producing one after another for at least 3 years now. I decided to grow some tree ferns from spores in a large tank and I put some ferns and moss and leaf-litter etc in as well to make it look nice like a little rainforest in my bedroom. I rembered an old rotten log in nearby rainforest that I found some glowing mushies on. So I thought I'd give it a go in the tank. (I already knew that they only grew out of rotting wood from when I first saw them at Mt warning.) I wasnt sure if I had the right log or not (about the size of my arm) until one night, about a month later, when I turned off the light and saw the bright glow of a little mushie on the log. after that I've had one after the other all over the log- for nearly six months now. THe most I've had at once is 30 on the log. at the moment theres 3. I don't have any fogger or any thing special in the tank. the glass on top has a 3mm gap which would allow a bit of air transfer but it still fogs and 'rains'ok inside the tank. Theres a 5cm layer of peat moss on the bottom of the tank (thats what I sprinkled the fern spores on) I poured a fair bit of water into that as it comes dry and Thats where all the moisture evaporates out of. Pretty basic and obviously ok for the mushies. The buttons are brown and they only start to glow after they have opened. They turn clear with some white as well and are covered in clear slime. They seem to only glow as soon as they start to decompose and a smell of bleach is given off the glowing ones. It really smells like some sort of chemical reaction but its not too strong or anything. In the tank they last for about 2-3 days each because the stems kink and they fall over and rot. Ants love to eat them so keep them out with vaseline and don't let dumb people think there magic mushrooms as they might be poisonous. Ive displayed a bit of log inside a bell jar and Im hoping that will work too. I think it would be best and easiest if I send bits of my big log to anyone who dares but Ill only do 15 or so or ill have no log left and That would be terrible. I think my e-mail has probably canceled again but Ill get back with that. Just send addy and Ill send some of the wood wrapped in glad wrap- the whole log is completely colonised. I encourage any expert shroom growers to get some so it can become accessible to others down the track Should I send some log to AFSR? I've never done a spore print.

Very interesting Saucer,

Firstly, when you get your email sorted I love to get hold of some of the log. Mines

[email protected]

Anyway, I've been looking into this a bit, and come to absloutly no conclusions. What I have read is that the glowing may come from a flourescent pseudomonas species that lives symbiotically with the mushroom. It seems they help break down the detritus for the mushroom, and in turn may get some nutrients back. If this is the case then I could culture some on some mPAC agar (pretty selective for some pseuds) then put onto some PYE slopes for the AFSR if anyone else is interested. Then we'll have it forever.

You seem to say that the caps glow, does the mycelium not glow? I cant really see why the bugs would want to live in the slime on the mushroom cap. (Pseud just farts about in the soil normally) So the Pseud theory may be tosh. I dont suppose you can remmeber what trees there were in the forest, around the logs. This may help replicate as closely as possible the conditions for glowing.

Being in Queensland I guess it would be kept at a pretty high teperature as well, compared to the bloody ACT.

g2g kai.

The amount of mold in my bathroom suggests I could inoculte it there, and get free safe lighting.

Guest saucer-like

The mycelium definitely doesn't glow and as far as I can tell the mushies will grow on a wide range of woods - the more decomposed the better. They seem to be so easy to grow I'm gonna try just sterilising some wood in the pressure cooker then adding some mycelium hopefully it will work that easily. My email is [email protected] ask the saucer and you shall recieve!

Pannellus Stipticus and clitocybe olearia glow in the dark

Thanks for the info bluemeanie,

Something to look into definately.

BTW, are mushrooms a hobby of yours or soemthing more?

Kai

saucer, neither you email addy above or the one with your SAB profile work.

Just temporary?

L8r Kai.