The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Can't post certain words (apoth please help)

What a weird situation...

I tried to make a post in the argyreia nervosa thread and got a 403 forbidden ubb main script error. I checked permissions and all was as it should be. So I did a test post in that thread and it went fine as well. I figured it must be something with the size or content of my post, so I started pruning. I finally (after about 30 edits) worked out that it was the phrase "avatar space dash" that caused the hiccup. If I put an extra space in there then it works, ditto if I take the space out (as I did to make the post). Funny thing is that if I put in a double space it will only show as single space in the post.

It's not a big deal, so don't waste any time on this, but of you know why this happens could you let me know please. Any predictions which other words will cause such a problem?

I'm going to complain to the developers now

Just playing with that is kind of freaky..

I think the ultimatebb.cgi script isn't too well written.

Either the script is poorly formed and is calling a variable or function named avatar in an impossible way, or a global variable/function called "avatar" is present in the wrong part of the code.

The freaky thing is the only hit you get for the script error that google gives you is one related to a time the SAB forums went down.

:/ I could download the ubb software and testbed it with some debugging scripts or something (I'm sure sourceforge has one or two) but it costs money!

It's weird. At first I thought it might be that register globals stuff cropping up, but the forum is cgi! Unless its just a cgi frontend to a whole bunch of php scripts ...mghhrhr.

[ 26. April 2005, 01:29: Message edited by: apothecary ]

EDIT: Heheheheheheheheh how interesting.

(which is what you see on the first line of this post)

works fine.

[ 26. April 2005, 01:34: Message edited by: apothecary ]

[ 27. April 2005, 00:54: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Courtesy of smogs, it appears curl is also reserved.

LOL, the developer is spectacularly disinterested.