The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin

posting

i was just wondering if it would be simple to make the 'Message:' edit/post textbox wider, so it occupies the whole right column, and also have the font as Verdana (as the actual posts appear once they go up?)

sorry to be getting picky..it's such a pissy little box tho, and Courier hurts my eyes *whinge / blubber*

oh, and torsten, your grammar's been sliding a little lately..might wanna keep an eye on that :P

[ 15. February 2004, 22:33: Message edited by: coin ]

you really are bored aren't you?

sloppy grammar is usually out of laziness. Like trying to save a word here and there. I hate typing.

I've often wondered why the box is so small. I guess it is designed for 600x800 still. I have no idea how to change this though.

torsten, i was just kidding around

your grammar's fine (!) of course ...

you are actually right coin. I find that internet language is very different from anywhere else and as I spend most of my time here this also reflects on the way I write elsewhere. For example I have started using emoticons in my typed letters, and I don't bother capitalising many words that should be. It's even worse in german, where all nouns are supposed to be capital - I simply dont' bother anymore.

The other day my solicitor pointed out that 'cos' isn't actually a word I am so used to typing it on the web that it has crept into other writing as well.

I think e-mail is doing terrible things to the language, but on the other hand, it is encouraging more and more kids to learn to write and to use written media - kids who normally wouldn't bother. I don't even think it is limited to kids, as many adult migrants and aussies find a more urgent need for written language too.

So, the internet isn't all bad. It's just making some of us lazy.

(was just poorly executed humour which i then realised sounded pretty rude) but anyway

does it affect your speech as well tho? (see, i always write 'tho' now, but haven't yet resorted to 'thru' as is seen at KFC drive-thru's etc hehe)

i type a lot of these shortcuts *because* that tends to be how i speak, unfortunately...don't most people say 'cos' now? (yet for some reason i don't like to read 'coz'..strange)

i don't think it's all laziness..it's often more organic! like the way people use dots/periods ['.'] to indicate meter & timing, etc. this has been taken beyond the standard literary ellipsis, which is really sposed [sic ] to represent omission..but now it shows the way you'd pause for reflection, or a punch line.

english is a trashy, trashy language anyhow..especially when it comes to spelling..there's so much ambiguity as far as how phonemes are symbolised/codified...which is why dodgy spelling & grammar never really phases me...as long as it translates to the correct sound, who cares...? i love our english-as-second-languagers around here.

many times, i have to go back over an email and add all the correct capitalisation or remove emoticons, etc, cos i suddenly realise it's not really appropriate for who i'm writing to.