The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Cocaine everywhere, says Gai

By Christian Nicolussi

July 26, 2005

RACING's First Lady Gai Waterhouse yesterday claimed cocaine use had reached epidemic proportions in Sydney.

Waterhouse made the startling claim while appearing before Racing New South Wales stewards in a desperate bid to distance herself from a cocaine scandal that has rocked her stable.

She said use of the drug in Sydney society had reached "terrifying" proportions.

"You only have to go to any hotel in Australia, or even now, if we were to pull out money from our wallets there's a chance there would be traces of cocaine," Waterhouse told the inquiry. "It's like the common cold, that's how easy a horse or person can be contaminated."

The stewards' hearing was yesterday told her runner Love You Honey had tested positive to the prohibited substance after a race at Gosford on Anzac Day.

The trainer said she had since questioned the bulk of her staff, with three employees admitting to having used the party drug in the past.

One of those employees, stablehand Roy Storch, joined Waterhouse at yesterday's hearing.

The trainer maintained Storch was not to blame and it was likely he had unknowingly come into contact with cocaine at his local pub.

Waterhouse told the inquiry she had a strict drug policy at her stables, before making her feelings clear about the "terrifying" drug problems facing modern-day society.

"My belief is cocaine has reached epidemic proportions," Waterhouse said.

She read a prepared statement to stewards about the security she had in place before questioning Storch about his whereabouts in the 24 hours leading up to Love you Honey's race.

Storch said he had enjoyed a few drinks at the Regent Hotel, Kingsford, where it was "common knowledge" cocaine was used.

"The Regent Hotel is a den of iniquity, it's a drug bin," Waterhouse said. "Ron goes there for a few beers and to listen to music and all he had to do was to go into the bathroom and touch a door handle.

"I have two kids, who don't do drugs, but they've said it's in every nightclub. It's terrifying. They say there are people snorting left, right and centre. It's a real epidemic."

A spokesman for the Regent Hotel last night vehemently denied suggestions cocaine or other illicit drugs were used on the premises.

He said police and dogs from the drug squad regularly inspected the hotel and no evidence of any drug had been found.

The Daily Telegraph

You only have to go to any hotel in Australia ---after reading this i was soo excited.

i grabbed $350 from the ATM & wondered down to the Cross Keys Hotel.

i asked every dodgy geezer i could find, but the nearest i came to an 8 ball was a game ov pool.

i reckon Gai's got coke paranoi, everywhere she looks she sees it...

Gai has a horse entered in the last at Kembla Grange, Saturday, named Hiyas. No kidding! :D Better swab that one :D

[ 28. July 2005, 00:53: Message edited by: noun ]

i bet she's a big user and is just trying to divert attedntion from herself.

"'i didnt know that everyone was doing it, im so innocent and naive, i dont even know how to convert it to crack with bicarb nor do i know how to make a crack bong out of foil, an orchy and a light bulb' gay was quoted as saying."

coke is everywhere, down here anyway but you can never get what you want

wheres all the fuckin K at?

Cocaine's everywhere!?!?

I'll trade 3g of K for some!

:D

obviously trading coke for k lol

bullshit coke is everywhere, the high is too short lived for anyone to afford it over here.

(dreams) oh take me back to south america!!!!!!!!!

the only ppl using coke regurly are the distributers, coz they can afford it regurly after it its cut to 90/10 coke being the later portion

when are we gunna see i cant belive it not coca T?

Id never ever heard of anyone using coke till I was talking to a footballer I know who said he got some at a party. After reading about it I dont see why its popular, it sounds crap and a let down

coke in america is as available as ciggerettes - actully, probably EASYER to get!

My 13 year old neighbour(granted, he grew up i nthe bronx, and acted 18) did coke just about every day. He used to give me dime bags just cuz he felt like it and b/c i looked liek i needed a 'break' from soicety.

And wats really ironic about this, is that i bought him ciggerettes and traded for coke. Hehe..silly minors..