The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Oregon county allows same sex marriage

Its about time! Now the rest of the country needs to do it.

CNN article

quote:

Oregon county issues same-sex marriage licenses

PORTLAND, Oregon (CNN) -- Multnomah County, Oregon's most populous county, started granting marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples Wednesday after the county attorney said refusing to do so is unconstitutional.

"The Oregon Constitution prohibits the county from discriminating against same-sex couples when they are applying for marriage licenses because that kind of discrimination based on gender and based on sexual orientation is not allowed in Oregon," said Multnomah County Attorney Agnes Sowle at a news conference in Portland, the county seat.

Immediately afterward, the county began handing out licenses to waiting couples, many of them clutching bouquets, some with children in tow.

One woman, holding up her license, said she had been waiting 16 years for the day. She said she and her partner planned to marry immediately.

Some couples had lined up in the wee hours of the morning outside the marriage office in Portland. Many sang the lyrics from "Chapel of Love" as they waited.

They came after Diane Linn, chairwoman of the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners, ordered the county Tuesday to begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

It's unclear how state officials will respond. Attorney General Hardy Myers has been meeting with Gov. Ted Kulongoski and will soon announce the state's "marching plans," said Myers spokesman Kevin Neely.

Neely described Oregon's marriage law as "ambiguous."

The law reads: "Marriage is a civil contract entered into in person by males at least 17 years of age and females at least 17 years of age, who are otherwise capable."

HA!!! Take that GW Bush, you bigot :P

4 states are doing it now and it's catching

Personally I am in two minds about gay marriages... on one hand marriage has been set up in our society in a way to promote (and give benefit to) couples who will procreate. Most gay relationships simply do not have this goal and do not involve the social responsibility of raising children.

On the other hand, why should there be gender discrimination in terms of inheritance, social security (in all but children matters) and other personal issues.

Personally I feel there should be a distinction between child raising couples and childless couples, no matter what gender they are. This would make the whole hoopla about gay marriages obsolete. After all, gays just want equality.

I used to be really hung up about the whole gay union thing. On one hand, hetero marriage was never of much significance to me and luckily wasn't to my girlfriend either. But when it came to the same situation with a same sex partner I suddenly felt quite motivated about it and with some political urgency. That lasted for about 2 years and these days I couldn't give a rat's ass about whether or not we get married. The issues such as property distribution (testament), bank accounts, social security, superannuation, health insurance, etc simply aren't an issue anymore as we are either too far out of the system to be affected by it, or have made other provisions. About the only reason why I still feel strongly about the need for some recognition and some change is because I know others are not that fortunate or not that well prepared.

And in any case, I will always cheer for anything that sticks it up Bush

pinchsuckburn.gif

[ 05. March 2004, 14:43: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Guest electro

good on em :)

i dont care for marriage nor can i see why people would, but peoples right to CHOOSE to or not to marry i care about very much. I am glad that even in the land of the political prisoners (erm of the free?) that some people are forward thinking enough to pass this :)

If I ever marry I won't be asking the government to recognise it. Jump over a broomstick and a dip in the sea probably. And a big party, of course.

But of course anybody should be able to marry anyone who consents to it. Especially if Bush hurts :)

Here in Lane County Oregon, Marriages are set to commence on Monday. Already people are lining up.

Equal rights for everybody--the people know it and feel it's right.

Bush doesn't have a chance on this one.

Even the conservatives know better than to mess with the constitution.

The constitution is about inclusiveness--granting rights--not discriminating against one group because they are different than you and denying them the same rights as everyone else.