The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

Chop chop

Here's an interesting article from Landline......

Chop chop

I really feel for the government.......

missing out on all those taxes!

heartbreaking. poor government. shall we pass the hat around for them? dig deep peoples - your country needs you.

One thing I've never fully understood- Is chop chop fully cured, partially cured, or uncured?

If its uncured tobacco prices must be awfull high in Oz to warrant smoking it. How much does a pack of smokes cost in aussie dollars?

If its fully cured I cant blame them for going the chop chop route- but I'd go one step further. As soon as I get my curin' kiln built I'll save 48 USD for each month out of the year that I only smoke homegrown! 576 USD (about 1152 aussie dollars) if I grow all I'll need- and thats after factoring in the cost of home production! (Amazingly the US gov't still lets us grow our own supply of tobacco- probably because so few do)

I believe chop-chop is at least partially cured.

The thing it's just so strong... sometimes I'm offered some, but after smoking only half a cigarette I get all sorts of problems: Asthma, Angina and what have you... it must be full of toxins... probably what the farmers would normally throw out...

AFOAF down the road (literally!),has a gnome who procures such a substance,and the quality varies dramatically,as does the price.

But he says the quality of his latest batch rivals the commercial gear by a country mile!

I've seen it and it looks,feels and smells divine,just like the bought stuff.

So I guess it's like anything else....

once it's forced underground,then the product becomes questionable,I mean,you don't really have any comeback.

Which falls straight in the lap of the..

er...law/government .

Guest d0tb0y

the problem with chopchop is -HOW- the curing is done. Traditionally, we hang the tobacco to dry, and then humidify it again.. letting natural enzymes remove some of the harsher flavours and changing some of the chemicals. This takes a long time as the enzymes i guess are pretty slow at thier job. If you form a sort of hash-press type situation and put your chopchop in it, with some molasses and press the molassess into it and leave for a few months, it cures it pretty well.. probably the free sugars in the molasses speed up the enzymatic reactions, plus molasses is pretty smooth in flavour so it probably blends in a bit with the taste.

I seem to remember someone posting a few months ago (could have been last year...my memory is terrible now...don't let anyone tell you drinking doesn't affect it) warning people about how its possible chopchop has fungus and moulds and stuff in it from the dealers wetting the tobacco to try increase its weight?

Chop chop isn't really the stuff you'd want to use to try make chimo would it?

-bumpy

I believe from Torstens previous posts that chimo would be made from the green leaf which would be (maybe?) higher in alkaloids than cured tobacco.