The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squiresk

A couple of interesting news items

one of the effects of heimia is said to be 'enhancement of acetylcholine',i wonder exactly what that means and if it indicates a use for the treatment of alzheimers?

t s t .

"Discovery Of 'Hot Pepper' Receptor In Heart May Explain Chest Pain"

Cool article. I'll pass it along to my pepperbuds, thanks :)

quote:

'enhancement of acetylcholine',i wonder exactly what that means

Don't the so-called smart drugs increase acetycholine? In much the same way as datura reduces it

July 2003 09:50

work at the UK medicinal plant research centre has shown that extracts ov lemon balm & common sage, improves memory in young healthy people & boosts levels ov the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, possibly by mimicking it's action. when tested to treat alzheimers patients the lemon balm extract was shown to be comparable to some liscensed alzheimers drugs.

- quoted by memory from this weeks New Scientist.

kitty- you might find this link from the past quite interesting

http://www.shaman-australis.com/cgi-bin/ub...t=000710#000042

[ 05. September 2003, 09:40: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

mmmm sage herb, wise sage... coincidence?

Herbalists have always regarded sage (salvia officinalis) as a memory herb.

Its also meant to be antiageing and good for rejuvenation (Hair and skin) - so i guess well wait to see whether these scientists make any new 'discoveries'

Sage is a favourite beverage of the Palestinians who drink it with Black tea. It grows wild on the slope and is usually picked bare. A study on the rates of dementia in that population would be a wonderful test of its efficacy.

does anyone know if the native celastrus species have been tried for this purpose yet?

i have found a plant,is it only the seeds which are used?

t s t .

Very interesting, are these extracts available in health food shops or anything? I need something to improve my memory at the moment since I stopped smoking mj it has noticably affected my memory among other things.

a tincture of herbs as mouthwash?

Remembering my herbal medicine classes where we used to sample one of every herb we learnt about...the tinctures don't leave you with the greatest taste in your mouth..or the best breath in the world

-bumpy

Sage tincture is great as a mouthwash, very bracing and kills a lot od dental decay bacteria. It also seems to be effective as a preventative against colds and flu, if used all the time. Onlty about ten drops of the concentrated stuff.