The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

savable?

I've only got a small piece of fat pach left atm and am wondering what the best way to get something out of it may be if it's still at all possible.

It's been cut the way it has because an infection got in which started travelling up to the areoles. It caused the cutting to become mushy with orange/pink streaks in it. I seem to have gotten rid of all of it but whether it's still capable of growing I do not know.

fp1.jpg

fp.jpg

quote: Torsten in another thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other argument for side cuttings is when dealing with recalcitrant pieces. Vertical cuttings will either root in a few months or die. They rarely survive more than a season unrooted. Sidecuts can survive for several years without rooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So do these recalcitrant pieces end up rooting most of the time?

Do you think I should try this piece skin side down?

[ 12. September 2005, 07:13: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

I dont think tip cuttings go to well rooting on there side.

i tried rooting a spach with a growing tip on its side once, it did grow roots but as the tip grew the bottom dried out, its still alive just dont look to good.

that piece looks nicely calloused, i would just stick it in dry soil and wait a fortnight till watering.

good luck

The cutting was stubborn and I've had this piece since last summer/autumn. There really isn't much of a tip left on it.

Is there enough there to graft?

should be right now its summer in SA

nice n dry

if ist the black rot then i swear by mancozeb at the first signs

doesnt kill it but holds it off till tghe plant can callus

if its a specimen plant id evben consider a systemic to keep it safe or try to eliminate the infection

that cutting for me with my types would stil be fine

slow to root but fine

if its the only i wouldnt risk grafting. id just hold off and wait till it pups, leave them on for a year or more till the above and below ground are large n sturdy and go from there