normal_Eileen_midsection.jpg

and another specimen is looking decidedly bridgesioid

normal_Eileen_small.jpg

and so is the pup of the top pictured clone

normal_pup.jpg

[ 04. July 2005, 07:00: Message edited by: Rev ]

isnt it in your hands already?

i sent a pup last week?

oh is that eileen, woooohoo :) thanks :) haha i was gonna ask you if that was but i looked at it and for the life of me it looked like a bridgesii but not lol. sweet sweet sweet :) im stoked :)

hey rev

if you have anymore pups available i would love to aquire one

or anyone who is willing to sell me a pup?

not yet but im trying my darndest to propagate as many as i can as well as learn more about where it fits into the scheme of the trichocereus

fisrt i need stock, then i need to get some off to those who are seriosly into studying them, thirdly to the guys i know can also propagate them - and very importantly those who have similar breeding aims and capabilities

finally they should be publicly available

till then i figure a plant in someones cooking pot is worth 2 in my hand

im going to start on areole grafting shortly. if that works the wait will be over quicker

Keep your eye on EA marketplace.

sometimes reshroomed offers pieces and pups for sale - but he too seemed a little dismayed about people buying then just eating this cactus with little thought to preservation and expansion of its numbers

In the spiney pics, Eileen's a dead ringer for the SS02. But that one has no tendency toward the bald growth. She's a tough one to pin down, eh? Maybe someday I'll get a chance to study her habits myself. :)

very interresting post, i will keep an eye out on this one.

however i have observed as followes:

many pachanoi like cacti show less spines once they get very mature.

aswell we know that the penis trich only produces spines in the pup stage.

similar can be observed with pachanoi type cacti, for example an old spineless section, produces well spiked pup's!

aswell we understand that less watered trichs produce less spines. i think to remeber michael saying that stressed cacti seem to loose the potential to produce spines.

putting those factors together and voila, you get what you talk about.

a juvenile, well watered and nurtured trich showes lots and long spines.

old growth (aswell pot doesn't hold as much water now) has less prominet spines.

I coudnt imagine getting something so rare and sought after only to eat it... what a kick to the guts for those of us that want to collect and clone.. Ive been wait for what seems to be forever.

I mean one could at least wait from some progeny!

have a nice day!

[ 04. July 2005, 14:38: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Rev, I was gonna say too cold for spination but the other one did it. GMF.

I generally notice no/minimal spine-growth over winter. I'd assumed this was a nomality for such a climate.

Usually see minimal pupping at this period too, but have had three pop out on stumps in the last few months.

FWIW my theory is a poor summer and slow winter. To refute my last statement, my biggest pach has grown over two foot in the last six months. Mind you, the height being about the same (15)'. The pach has only two limbs (plus one pup down low).

These plants are side-by-side in garden.

teo - sorry man, you're on my list to send cuts to (I detete pms that are specific, but I've got your addy still) . Just don't have the time/money to send as many as often as I'd like.

hebrew - thought you had one. I'll whack you on the list. Send me an addy.

gusto - *SORRY*, mate, yours is the next parcel sent.

ph - you've already got one, don't be greedy

Andy - might have a left-over, pm me.

ed

SS02 and RS0005 both seem to throw some spineless growth towards the top of older plants. Very cool!!

Both of those are bridgesii forms or allies.

quote:

In the spiney pics, Eileen's a dead ringer for the SS02. But that one has no tendency toward the bald growth.

Ok just saw Gustos mention of SS02, but in the SS catalog they mention that SS02 can grow spineless, and I even got a cut of one from them that had no spines at all on the upper 6 inches of it.

For photographs of bridgesii forms/allies that seem to grow spineless now and then check out the following pages in TN 3rd B. #39(BobWallace) #45(WOH) #46-47(SS02) and a few areoles on #50(unknown C).

I want to know if the spines might be dormant and grow later, I have seen old areoles throw some wicked new spines when they are a few years old on some peruvianoids.

[ 04. July 2005, 18:27: Message edited by: Archaea ]

quote:

Usually see minimal pupping at this period too, but have had three pop out on stumps in the last few months.

here we differ a bit

it gets cold here at night but days are warm and the trichs never seem to stop growing fully

this clone is still pupping right now as are several others

the spination trait seems to be the same tho

quote:

I want to know if the spines might be dormant and grow later

yes. she does commonly grow and lose spines off old areoles. id say all over the place but there must be a pattern i just havent had the plant long enough to see it fully.

Ive got Gusto covered already if u like. It could save you the international postage

ive sent a couple that way now and been no problem yet

Andy id be just as happy to remove the pup from your order and u could send reshroomed the $ instead..

Teo just got one the other day from me

Ive got one extra for strangebrew to go

and thats me done till late spring

[ 05. July 2005, 12:57: Message edited by: Rev ]

Hey now wait a second tiger, I didnt mean Ive been waiting for what seems to be forver for that Eileen from you... I jst mean Ive been waiting (or a better description would be searching) for what seems to be forever to get one since I first read about her..

Rev, please dont take it as a personal jab in anyway as that wasnt even in my head.

I contact Reshroomed a couple of months back but never got a reply so I didnt think he had any spare?

Rev, we're gonna have to co-ordinate better next year.

My next sends were gusto, teo, and strangebrew.

I'l split them with you :) (if that's suitable to everyone, of course)

I'll take gusto, as I've spoken to him about this more than once and have got the guilts on for messing him round. You can have the locals.

Andy - Don't recall a pm from you (no copy in my inbox). Not having got one since my last offer, I'll leave you with rev

That's a good morning's work. Got rid of two parcels already :D .

One little girl, in particular, will be getting hers sent this week now.

ed

Hi reshroomED,

I sent the PM to you over at EBA a while back.. no matter, they are easy to miss or forget. :)

ed wrotte:

ph - you've already got one, don't be greedy

ed there is a missunderstanding, i haven't asked for more. actually i thought you were extreemly generous and i have posted some thank you notices at various topics, but i guess you never saw them.

my have a nice day answere means i posted something which was aswell a missunderstanding, lol!

btw, i have cut only one section off, the specimen you sent me, and left the rest as a very big cutting, meaning i will not produce many clones for a while, but rather have a big eileen, which hopefully flowers soon!!!

i fell in love with her right away, and i can tell you that she is very happy at my place.

so let me say again, thank you ed, and i will give her my uppermost special attention.

damn

stirred up shit havent i :(

yeah sorry for not minding my own biz

just good intentions - trying to efficiently carve up a limited resource

sorry gusto - i didnt mean to interfere with anything just save doubling up

and Andy - im sorry if i came over the wrong way- it wasnt meant like that at all.

as i said good intentions

...pave the road to hell

Andy and strangebrew can expect one from me then

soon as i get more suitable boxes...hpefully tmrw

ph, I was only joking mate.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Apologies to you too Andy. Just checked at EBA and found it (22 April).Pm meagain with an address and I promise I'll reply.

quote:

just good intentions - trying to efficiently carve up a limited resource

That was what I was attempting too.

ed

I myself have trades pending that are awaiting growth, including to the man I think is the most underestimated Trichophile stateside.

Gusto, that man is humble, but just an awesome guy who deserves in much more credit for his contribution to collections, genetics and knowledge of these cacti in general.

If I didn't know better Archaea, I'd think you were already buttering me up with an eye toward a pup off a clone I don't even have yet.

You already know I'm good for sharing cuttings, as growth permits, with those who'll respect the plants.

Guess a little ego stroking never hurts though. :D

More like asking forgiveness for what I owe you and the delay (its gonna be a couple of months), but more to the point, it is all true.

Nobody I know who has traded or communicated with you has anything but praise for you. I would go on, but I don't want to be redundant.

Gusto's good people. Got some interesting hybrid seed from him (thanks man!) I still need to sow. Gusto, you get my plants? How about those #8 eh?

Archaea, you know I still have the pall sitting around for you. Still interested?

Rev, that plant does look a lot like the T. sp. "C" Archaea mentioned above, and which I am fortunate enough to have in my collection. I have a 10 cm tip that has no spines, while a little lower it has them to the same length as your plant seems to. The plant, though incredible "bridgesioid" doesn't have the really strong, thick, and heavily attached spines normal to the species.

I do make a clear distinction between T. bridgesii and the Trichocereus of central and northern Peru (those we seem to all find the most interest in), and I would say that this plant of yours fall into that class, but also somewhere towards T. scopulicola, a plant related to T. bridgesii, but even less so than the plants of Peru. T. scopulicola might look a lot like others, especially T. pachanoi, but the age of their branch is back a ways.

I'll look to get a few pictures of the "C" and get them up at at The Nook this weekend.

~Michael~

I have one that looks identicle to eileen with not one single spine on it, also one of the limbs has only four ribs, very intersting, with a 5 ribbed head.

Guess what it looks like :D