The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ergoamide

whats this trich

I have got a slight inclination 2 a pachanoi but i really dont know pictures of all the trich have shown similarities and disimilarites if that a word so im not sure

normal_DSC00377.JPG

looks like a scop.....but im no expert...

Do the fingernail test.

quote:

Here's a test at least to give a bit of info. The T. pachanoi have a very waxy smooth skin when one runs ones fingernail (90 degree angle with the tip of the nail) up and down on the skin. T. scopulicola, or T. cordobensis, will have a rougher (matte) skin in comparison to T. pachanoi. Give a fingernail test and get back to us.

(that's a M S Smith quote )

yeah looks like a scop, take a photo of the tip to be sure, all scops ribs meet at one point where as pachanoi only some meet. try the scratch test its never worked for me, i think they feel the same.....

haha on that little pup u can see where the ribs meet, thats a scop, see how they all meet at the center.

now if you look at this tip

T_pachanoi_tip_jpg.jpg

you can see that only half meet in the middle.

[ 03. July 2005, 10:48: Message edited by: teonanacatl ]

Pretty sure that would be a scop'. At least that's what cactus Garage used to, still do? sell as scop'..

I got it from paradisia about a yr ago it looked nice so i got it but yeh all the ribs meet so im guessin scop.

It's certainly a Trichocereus scopulicola I have been working with these at Shaman Australis!!

nice one

has anyone grown these from seed?

is iut true they breed relativley true to form?

I grew a batch of about 50 from seed, they were/are the most uniform population I have grown from seed. The second most uniform population I have grown was a hybrid between SS02 and an unknown plant.

Every "species" I have grown from seed except for scop shows decent variation.

This only means that scop and the hybrid are homogenous for traits though, and that could mean many things.

I have my own theories about this, but I won't get into them for now.

[ 03. July 2005, 19:43: Message edited by: Archaea ]

I'd say a T. scopulicola as well. The fingernail test generally works, but in addition to it you can tell a pach from a scop by the way light reflects of the skin. If the skin is waxy and smooth light reflects more than off the somewhat less smooth skin of a T. scopulicola.

~Michael~

But thas not all i have another one in the same garden that i recently started to think was a trich aswell so here it is.

normal_DSC00381.JPG