The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

peruvianus???

It probably has no relation at all to the seed they are selling. Looks more like a Stenocereus to me but I've never seen it before.

It looks like a potential Trichocereus candidate to me. It looks like it is dehydrated and very glaucous though much of that color might be hard water deposits. Perhaps it is a peruvianoid macrogonus, perhaps it is not a Trichocereus at all. Peruvianoids are the most taxonomically problematic Trichocereus phenotype in my opinion. I would not call the plant in the photo attractive.

The spines look right for a peruvianoid, but it is hard to tell with such a small photo.

Here is a link you may or may not have seen before, you can compare the plant to various pictures and see some peruvianoid variations.

http://www.columnar-cacti.org/trichocereus/

[ 13. June 2005, 19:21: Message edited by: Archaea ]

It looks pretty typical for a peruvianus seedling if it is around 6-9 inches tall. It clearly needs watering badly. The color looks at least partially flash induced.

The photo is really crappy so certainly it could be something else but the spination appears rather typical for lots of the peruvianus forms when they are this age.

I would draw attention to the wording on this ad and ask viewers to compare it to the ad for Stenocereus hystrix (link can be found under that topic). The author of this one cleary has better survival instincts.

[ 13. June 2005, 18:31: Message edited by: trout ]

quote:

Trichocereus peruvianus grows much like san pedro, but,
amazingly, it seems to grow faster
and be even more hardy.

So has anyone found this to be true?

and I'm not being cynical!

no

growth rates are comparable

maybe the peru is a little slower

but the peru get fatter and faster

but they are more rot prone