The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Lophophora indoors

Hello everyone, your slightly deranged and demented friend apothecary is soon to embark on a project he has titled "Loph Farm".

MS Smith, while doing searches on the topic I came across a link to spiritplants where you had your setup. However, I can no longer access that link. Can you post those photos in this thread for me and for posterities sake? :D

Also, can anyone suggest good lighting (lumens or watts) for lophs age 0 and up? Would a 50/50 spectrum red/blue be better or pure blue?

Probably gonna go with Amgrow cactus mix because all my current cacti (especially my current lophs) are in it and seem to be loving it.

Please post your pics or experience with growing lophs indoors under lights (not too interested in windowsill anecdotes), I'm looking especially at those of the community in America who can't grow openly

Hypothetically speaking of course

About 20-30 watts per square foot of HPS light results in very good results.

Much better than with standard fluorescents even if they are grow tubes though compacts might work as good as HPS.

Younger plants can be on the edges of the garden while older ones can receive more light in the center.

I don't know if you have read my grow guide... I am sure it could be used with Loph in mind. If you like I can put up a link to it.

I would like to see MSSmiths setup too...

[ 30. April 2005, 15:55: Message edited by: Archaea ]

hit us with a link, im extremely interested in anyone elses experience.. whilst i have no photos i have had amaizing results from grafts and older buttons inside under lights.

cheers

***E***

Its still not very Loph oriented, and it is a PDF

and it is not my most current version either, but its OK and I have had good reviews for it from some cactophiles.

http://www.rezik.com/arch/files.html

http://www.rezik.com/arch/

I have a forum too, small so far, and cactus oriented. Most of it cannot be seen without joining and logging in. I have pics of a great deal of my collection and setup there. Though much remains to be done. I don't want to advertise it much though. I am not sure that it is a good Newbie site, but everyone is welcome.

I am Trichocereus oriented to be sure.

Edited to add I removed the guide.

[ 01. July 2005, 22:10: Message edited by: Archaea ]

Just some updates on this project.

Batch #1 (these two photos) consisted of 8 L. williamsii and 8 L. williamsii white flower.

The tek I used to germinate these seeds is detailed here:

http://www.ethnobotanica.org/wiki/index.ph...Lophophora_spp.

normal_000_0393.JPG

normal_000_0395.JPG

Six germinations in the first pot (can't see the other two seeds), four in the second. Is L. williamsii white flower less vigorous than normal L. williamsii? Because both are in identical conditions.

Batch #2 has been sitting there for a week or so, and some seeds are beginning to show root hair and swelling. (L. diffusa and L. williamsii)

All four pots are under a single 20W daylight spectrum compact fluorescent and seem to be loving it.

Excuse the poor quality of the photos, my digital camera is old.

I plan on having ~100 Lophophora cacti by the end of next spring, for distribution amongst the community (especially those having a hard time germinating seeds), using grafting etc to get them to postable size.

[ 01. July 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Watch that chunky potting mix , if it sits up close to the young ones (the chunks that is )the water it holds can start a rotting where it touches the plant. Easy fix is a thin layer of sand over the top.

2b, yeah I keep a close eye on them (twice a day) to make sure there are no large bark (large for a peyote seedling :P ) chunks resting on them.

The mix itself is actually quite fine, with only a few chunky bits.