The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
empire

Best soil for peyote seedlings

I was wondering what would be the best soil for peyote would the store bought cactus mix be best or a sandy soil?

[ 28. February 2005, 18:06: Message edited by: empire ]

UTFSE (use the f^&(king search engine)

there is a MASS of info on here about cacti germination

i use a 50/50 peat course sharp sand mix in take away food containers

damp (not wet) microwaved then sealed

add seeds seal put somewhere they are in shade always

easy

FYI

Heat breaks down the anti bacterial and fungal proprieties of peat moss.

You may wish to sterilize the sharp cut sand mix

and leave the shredded peat moss alone

to be added after the sand soil mix has cooled

for such small seeds

CSS - course sharp sand 90% + 10% organic. Sterilize!!!!! After a good number of germinations,... start lowering the humidity over the period a week.

but if you are a total newbie to cacti..... avoid organix mix,... go for 100% CSS to avoid fungal/algea growth.

best temps would be between 20 and 30 Celcius. Avoid any direct sunlight. 70 to 80% shadecloth.

How long will they take to germinate?

I have read many different figures, from many different sources.

Any real-world, and Australian, estimate? Weeks, months?

I tried my first lot of lophophora seed germination last weekend. But, upon further reading, discovered I made a few mistakes.

I used a store-bought cactus mix which was really just fine potting mix with about 5-10% sand, so I think that is one stuff up. I didn't realise it was so 'organic' until I got the bag home and opened it.

Plus, I forgot to sterilise the mix in my excitement.

So, I'd like to know when I can decide that it was a failure? Cause nothing has popped up so far.

[ 24. February 2005, 19:37: Message edited by: Benzito ]

anywhere from a few days to sevral months

most should germinate aroun d 3 weeks after tho

depends on how much warmth and stuff they getting

Well, for anyone who's interested.

It's been one week exactly, and I have one little green bud pushing through the soil (I said it was crappy 'cactus mix').

Only thing is, the cotton wool I got poking out the bottom of the pots(as a wick for bottom watering) is going slightly green. When should I remove the pot from the humidity chamber? I don't want fungus to mess with my little seedling.

quote:

and I have one little green bud pushing through the soil

I may be taking your words too literally, but how much soil did you cover the seeds with? I've been under the impression that most cactus seeds should hardly be covered. However, I've never had much luck myself germinating cacti. Good luck!

I covered it with a fine dusting, about 2-3mm thick. Nothing much. But I'm talking about a tiny little bud. Pinhead size. So it does 'poke up' through that much soil.

But someone please: Should I remove this little seedling from the humidity box or keep it in for a few weeks?

all i do to germ my loph's is put them on top of neem coir, i dont steralise it either (i always forget to) and give them a good misting...never let them dry out till they pop out and thats usually within 1 week...they are in a old fish tank with a piece of perspex over the top...but it has a huge hole in it...and i use a 11watt fluro about 30cm away from them...they cant handle as much light as trich's...good luck

benzito to answer your questions... if tis green its algae so anti fungal wont work

try and get some air movement in there and remove the cotton wool altogether

but you need to keep the humidity up

the root systems are very delicate and dry out easily untill at least a few weeks old