The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salvi

sceletium cuttings

I was fortunate to recieve a few Sceletium tortuosum

cuttings yesterday. I have them on a heating pad, in a relatively cool environment. They're several feet from a 400 watt metal halide lamp. Does this setup look decent for rooting?

normal_100_0197.JPG

normal_100_0198.JPG

normal_100_0199.JPG

I must say that these cuttings look lankier than most plants I've seen. Perhaps they were grown under low lighting?

i never had them under hid lamps,

but i know they are happy with even less light...

i would though, shorten the cuttings, pinch the tips off, if they are two or 3 nodes long, plant them out as additional cuttings. your cuttings show very long internodes, which they produce when getting ready to flower. but the important thing is that, a shorter cutting will wilt less, because of less surface area. sceletium is a very easy cutting.

Thanks for the advice planthelper. Is misting or high humidity beneficial until they root?

i've found the more water the better. I water mine every morning and night if I can as they are in a high humidity spot (man made) which gets full sun until midday.

I found that if I put them in a high light/heat situation that they didn't show any signs of growth and would harden up and get very fibrous.

In the new spot where I've had the cuttings I can get roots formed in 2 weeks and substantial growth in under a month. they are truly the easiest plant I have yet to clone and grow.

hope this helps.

a question though, do all sceletium plants flower? I have had mine for over 2 years and to this stage not one flower.

any info would great

thanks

i have one flowering at the moment, i believe planthelper had grown this one from seed.

i have the ED strain sceletium and it flowers yearly

[ 02. January 2005, 21:21: Message edited by: Jack ]