The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mrstinky

dumb question

2 days

1 night!

or do you mean after how long, they start flowering the first time?

pedros might take 15 years to flower from seed.

but large cuttings taken from specimens which have flowered allready might, flower allready after one year.

planting them out helps them to flower earlier, whilst container grown one's never seem to flower.

[ 01. November 2004, 07:36: Message edited by: planthelper ]

most trichs flower for 2 nights. the first to be pollinated the second to produce pollen.

some species do it in one night, but pachanoi isn't one of them as far as I know. I will know more tomorrow .... my first pachanoi flower opened tonite.

Also, flowers stay open longer in dry weather than in humid weather. sadly it is humid tonite....

cool. So if I want flowers sooner I should get cuttings from cacti that have already flowered! -can't argue with that sort of logic.

I don't think it work's that way unfortunately. it'd be nice if it did!

There's no way to guarantee flowers. Just because you get flowers one year also doesn't mean you are certain to the next, as I think I'm going to find out this year. :( Things like plant size, winter temps, stress etc. all seem to be factored into whether or not a plant flowers.

The only way I've had guaranteed success is to get a cutting with a flower bud already starting, as long as it's fairly well formed, it always seems to continue to go on and produce a flower.

Re flowering time: I got a couple of nights last year out of my pach flowers, they also stayed open for a good part of the day.