The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
philistine

pachanoi pollen & flowers?

Greetings to all fellow greenthumbs!

Im new here, so if this has been covered before, I missed out.....

I read a post (can't bloody find it again!!!) from Torsten i think? Anyway it was regarding some flowering T. pachanoi and a possible pollen trade?

I have two pachanoi's that have put out a whole bunch of flower buds at the tips.

My first question is will they flower this year? or do the buds take a year or more to develope into flowers?

My second question is, how do you harvest and store the pollen?

Both plants are clones so Im not expecting them to fertilise themselves, so Id be interested in trading pollen but that leads to my third question(s). How long will pollen stay viable in storage? and how long do the flowers stay open and/or ready for fertilisation?

Cheers!

Hi

Yes your pachs will flower this season. They do nothing for ages and swell slowly but it speeds up rapidly cliamxing in a one night only fragrant bloom

You pollinate within hours of opening and collect pollen anytime after until it fades early the next day.

You put your best pollen type onto the pach and put the pach onto anything else you like for fun x's

store pollen like this....

normal_pollen.jpg

(thnx ed )

keep it in the butter compartment

I have this pollen from reshroomed plus more on the way from mine and from trades

ill happily supply you with some of what i have

if successful the flower will fad but the base will swell to a slightly hairy fruit which will soften and or split when ready to give 000's of black seeds - so its a worthwhile job

[ 15. October 2004, 21:21: Message edited by: reville ]

I have a couple of T. schickendantzii that are heavily budding, if anyone is interested in pollen. These apparently don't contain any interesting alkaloids, but may be good for a cross. I'd like to pollinate them with something else if anyone would like to swap.

Jon

quote:

My first question is will they flower this year? or do the buds take a year or more to develope into flowers?

Usually the buds will develop into flowers in the coming weeks. Last year I had several turn into pups and know of others having similar experiences, but have no explanation as to why.

quote:

How long will pollen stay viable in storage?

The fresher the better, although I've read of pollen being stored (low rH, temp, and no light) for years and still being viable.

I currently have last year's pollen from pachanoi, bridgesii, and an unknown Trich (any ideas on the id of this yet Rev?) if anyone's interested.

ed

size mainly

and also if they are in the ground they seem to more easily

i have heard of one guy putting his plants in a dark garrage at the start of spring for a few weeks and reckons that helps them flower

but unsure about this

Reshroomed - I thinks ist a spachianus??

at first i didnt think so but now its started growing and next to my spachs they look very very similar

There are a couple of details to check out though, when i flowers as my spach is coming up to flower

i shoudl send you spach pollen for the trich unknown

Cacti master - not sure what you want to pursue with the schick. - you want to cross it with an active or just muck about with oranmentals

Lost of our cacti are flowering the fisrt time this year

many globular echinopsis and lobivia species as well as Trich bruchii and T spachianus

None of the active ones flowering yet. murphies law that the ones we want to flower most dont

we collect pollen off them all

aslo weve got Cleistocatus strausii pollen (Silver torch)

Astro myriostigma

Astro crassipinoides

Astro myrio var nudum

Matucana madisoniorum

I might try and get out some mammilaria bocasana pollen too in case somebodies lophs flower and you want to have a look if you can duplicate the hybridisation. It certainly would be good in years to come to se if it cahnges the alkaloid profile much

[ 17. October 2004, 19:32: Message edited by: reville ]

Timely post

I'm sorry to say that my KK242 just flowered last evening

and I missed the first 12 hours! I'm a bit upset about it all after having

bothered everyone for pollen and the grand hope of hybred seed success..

I've tried pollination with some of the trades that I've made here

(Thanks! ) with fingers crossed maybe we'll get something.

The only real good thing is that I'm making great collections and will send

golden q-tips to the people I owe. Thanks for your patience.

anyway, here's a flower shot.

kk242flower.jpg

with ANY LUCK I may get seed but I can't hold my breath

best to those that get the q-tips!

and ah, just a suggestion... for those that do get flowers this year

DON'T get talked into going out with the boys the weekend your flower blooms... :rolleyes:

[ 18. October 2004, 09:15: Message edited by: Flip ]

Reville, hehe it's just because my active Tricho's haven't flowered yet, and probably won't for at least a year or two. Do you think the alkaloid profile of a cross would be worth investigating?

On a more ornamental note, I am trying to cross my Ortegocactus (I love this thing) with my M. bocasana. From what I can gather, Ortegocactus is an ancient cross between Mamm and Coryphantha, and might make for a strange cross.

fargin' hell flip, that photo is fantastic!

If anyone here ever puts together an 'interesting' botanical calender, i vote that pic for sure.

Do you mind if I use it as a background?

Just made my night, thanks for sharing!!

Just picked up a heafty Astro myriostigma or Astro coahuilense, not sure what it is yet, though the beauty of it was that it had 2 different coloured flowers at the same time, light fruity scent, absolutely beautiful. It must have opened before I purchased it, as the two only opened partially the next day then closed for good. Hopefully the few other buds will mature and open within the coming months.

Heres the pic: (anyone after one, check brunswick st. nursery in fitzroy, $15 bargain!, bit bigger than a large fist)

normal_astrophytum.jpg

[ 18. October 2004, 20:44: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Gerbil, Thanks for the nod on the pict

yes, of course you can desktop it

Thanks for asking!

(Just please, keep the copyright tag on it if you could)

The reason being, that I've had a few of my picts

used in the past by some people to support a business

that I've disagreed with and I would like to stop that

from happening again in the future.

Best of luck w/ your new addition!

[ 19. October 2004, 06:00: Message edited by: Flip ]

Great score Gerbil, wish I was there to get one!

Must be some kind of hybrid I'd imagine with the different coloured flowers, usually they're just yellow.

A.coa. flowers have an orange throat. Did you look inside?

Not a problem flip, won't be edited in any way.

SB: Was pretty tight looking in the throat, couldn't see the colours too well, from memory it was more darker yellow, but sitll hard to make out. 2 smaller buds have shown growth over the last few days, especially with the warmer weather today, fingers crossed.

If anyone is after some, get in quick, they had a good 10 of them all with flowers forming and spent flowers too.

Also heaps of penis bridgesii.

Cacti Master:

Do you think the alkaloid profile of a cross would be worth investigating?

My whole series of experiments simply hopes to answer in part that very question

I figure i do the crosses then send samples to somebody in future who can analyse them all with state of the art equipment.

Theres been some work on he known actives but so many of the lesser known ones dont have any definitive work or havent been looked at as far as i can find

quote:

On a more ornamental note, I am trying to cross my Ortegocactus

cool. whgere did u get this one from? this is one species i was looking for on the seedlists and couldnt see.

Hopefully not too soon after I have finished uni I will be able to be involved in analysis similar to what you are talking about. I will have access to all the facilities and have the know-how to do it. If only I can pass this semester's exams :D

I got the Ortegocactus from Gardenworld in Vic, they occasionally have one, and always grafted. I found it easy to take offsets, although rather slow. I could possibly send you an unrooted (or rooted in a month or two) one if you were interested, although I suspect that this species in particular would not like the postage too much (reddens with poor airflow and dim light).

Jon

sorry not meaning to hijack the thread, though 2 buds opened partially yesterday, and fully today.

By the looks of it, we have Astrophytum myriostigma. Both yellow this time.

Still another 2 buds forming waiting to mature by the looks of it, deep in the middle.

normal_myrio%20close.jpg

normal_Astro.%20myriostigma.jpg

Rev you want pollen for when your ones flower? Have a few sticks in the fridge.

[ 22. October 2004, 15:10: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Sure why not :) you want some back

they produce seed fast! not like some trichs that take forever. Big seeds that are easy to germinate.

If its anything like ours that cactus will go all summer.

They are great value

Yours look somewhat compressed, flattenned.

which makes it look somewhat like one of our myrio types im not sure of.

maybe astro myrio var potosinum?

00001676.jpg

http://www.astrobase.de/Kataloge/Botnam/Se...en/00001676.htm

This site looks promising in german or english

tell the truth i dont have acle with them yet. All i know is that im seeing definite morph differences between accessions and diff sources matching up together - say our original Myriostigma looks like only one other plant, whereas the potosimum types are all compressed like i mentioned.

Id love to get some 3 ribbed Onzuka (flocked ) plants going. Ill have to make them myself i guess

[ 22. October 2004, 21:24: Message edited by: reville ]

reville:

Yours look somewhat compressed, flattenned.

What do you mean by this? The flower?

It might be the angle of the shot, both those haven't opened fully yet, I mean they haven't completely spread to what i'm guessing they are capable of.

I'll post a pic that is a bit more of a side shot later on, gallery isn't working for me atm.

Should pollen be x-posted or does it travel okay normal post?

Sure i'd love some pollen to try out on the future buds, thanks!

dont know about all pollen but astro pollen seems tough and theres always plenty of it. regular mail is fine - especially when post ed at a post office and going to a PO box where it wont broil in the midday sun

when i say compressed i mean the plant body.

itll take photos of mine to get my idea across aand i dont have the right combo yet to demonstrate