The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
VINS

loph grafting on pachanoi

hello everybody !

that's fun ! i think it is the first time in 3 years that i post in this forum. :)

(but that don't mean i don't love cactee or don't grow some..)

i recently tried to graft a 2cm wiliamsi on the top of a pachanoi. it was my first true experience. when i put it on the top it sticked immediatly. then i have used an elastic to maintain it.it was 2 weeks ago.(i can post picts if needed)

now it is always welded but i can't see new groth.

does it mean that the veine are not at the good place ? or do i have a chance and just need to wait more ?

thank you for your help

having recently completed some of my own first-time grafts i think 2 weeks may not be long enough to tell ..i do know that you can tell when a graft is successful by giving the top of your lopho a little squeeze , if its soft the graft probably didnt take ..but if its not soft you should be in luck ...

Im sure Torsten or other senior members could confirm or deny this technique.

PATIENCE is the key

"a watched kettle never boils "

Don't know when you should start to expect growth from a graft, but I wouldn't touch them in any manner just to be sure.

I have tried to graft twice in the past without success and both times it became apparent when the loph started to grow roots and push itself from the host

If you made sure that the vascular bundles overlapped like a Mastercard symbol, not like a Target symbol, and the surfaces were dead flat and clean, it should be fine. Just give it another week or two.

Books and literature on grafing ive been reading say that T pachanoi is an excellent stock giving steady growth over a long period and gives a graft that will last quite a while. Not like pereskiopsis or Hylocereus that last less than 2 years

But it says when grafting to Trichocereus to expect some delay before growth starts

When i grafted to T spachianus there wasnt much delay though

Maybe not long enough for Pachanoi

cactee master, i don't understand what you mean by mastercard logo etc...

when i cut them, the vascular system were two circle of the same size and i tried to put them in contact. my knife was clean.

now the surface is no more flat and clean. drying has change the shape of the top of the T and the surface are darker. but the grapft always stick and is in good health.

can i put it under the sun now or do i have to waait until a new groth ?

oooh, and thank you to all the others who answered here. :)

OK VINS think of the Olympic logo instead

with the interlocking rings

Lik ethat you make the vascular rings overlap at two points and this is wher eth evacsular tissues must fuse to make a successful graft

If its not truly successful the graft falls off or dries up, or if just fused to tissue without vascular support it does nothing, maybe shrinks a little, the stock may put out pups, and in time the scion will make roots and push itself off.

In some cases, like if trying to save a cactus with rot coming up from the roots, even a non successful graft will support the top in a small way until it grows new roots

regarding to your olympique ring comparison, i undurstand that i have made an error :

i have tried to put the two rings perfectly centered . with my method if they are perfectly behind together it is good but if one circle is bigger than the other they will never meet. with your method the contact point are less big but we are sure to have at least two points.

Thats a cool looking Pedro - strange spination and the colour - do you have a pic of an uncut cactus to show?

as soon as the sun rises ! :D for now they are sleeping

i baught this pedro a few years ago and after cutting it i have now 6 healthy cactus.

i absolutly don't know if they are true pachanoi because i don't know how to make differencies between all the tricho species, but it was sold as Pachanoi in holland.

for the lophophora williamsi, no doubt, it is from a really reliable farm close to my house.

regarding the color :

the top is different from the base which is more green. when i put the cactee in full sun (strong here)the top turn into a strange blue with a white screen like you could see on poppies.

regarding the spines, i noticed on another strain of cactee that the more sunlight intensity the longer are the spines. with full south exposition the 30cm cactee made some spine of 15cm.

regarding my grafting, i was stupid because i just now remember that i have stored a good link (maybe from this forum :) ) and i forgot to check it before :rolleyes:

here is the link for people with a brain

http://www.sphosting.com/cactus/

Your "Pedro" looks a lot like an unidentified Tricho I have in my collection. Would you be able to post a bigger picture of an uncut plant?

Thanks for that. However, mine are different, but have some very similar characteristics.

Cheers

Thanks Vins

Its looks much more normal in the daylight and complete

I have a strange looking batch of seedlings i thought were Peruvianus from SAB, or maybe EA, def nowhere else

but now i cant be sure what they are

The had a different lok but shared the blue/grey powdery look with the fine spines that the stock of the graft looked like it had

Ill post as an ID thread if i feel they are big enough to show their differences