The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

grafting bridgesii monstrose to pachanoi stock

anyone tried it B4?

i just did one then ad hoc

will update id successful

i mean im sure itll work but just thinking of the benefits eg better tolerance of wet conditions

faster growth

I have a T. bridgesii monstrose-crest on a T. pachanoi, but though it set a little growth I think I didn't have a nice sterile cut or something as the scion is getting some rot which I don't think I can cut off as it started at the connective tissue. That's alright, this one grows fast enough on its own roots.

I'm not sure about grafting being good for tolerance of wet conditions as usually it isn't from wet roots that T. bridgesii suffer (at least in my case), it is rather the weeping black rot infections on the skin. I'm not sure the rot is always due to the plants water volume, but might rather have to due with air humidity and air born bacteria settling on the plants, reproducing, and then "digging" in to cause the damage (it's said to get in through nicks on the skin, etc.). I say this as the black rot doesn't appear to start from the inside and move outward, but rather starts at the outside and goes inward. This is pretty clear since the rot can be cut off the column, something that should it be due to rot climbing up the root, through the column, and into the skin in splotchy patterns wouldn't be the case. Usually this rot doesn't kill the plant, but you should obviously try to dry it up. People always want to cut with this sort of rot, but I never found it very helpful to do so. Once dry the epidermis gets a nice thick brown scar, but otherwise keeps growing.

~Michael~

I ask because I'm considering grafting my newly acquired T. bridgesii v. monstrose onto another Trichocereus. I take it that I should wait for it to root and get rehydrated before attempting grafting?

lol ive grafted the other way, pachanoi onto a monstrose bridgesii :D grows nicely

grafted.jpg

doin lovely thanks :)

darcy has some nice pics of his in the gallery too..

lol teo, did the pachanoi grow at it's normal rate of speed?

Lookin' good rev, is it growing faster?

Looks like I'll have to give it a try. Might use a cereus since they're on sale at the store.

well its not growing slow but not as fast as they normally do :)

[ 13. June 2005, 09:13: Message edited by: teonanacatl ]

well it hasnt pupped yet but its swollen to twice the size and

looks like its about to burst

i sense it will in spring from each areole (which have enlarged)

MSS - Thanks for the info about the skin bacteria borne rot. I am dealing with a bit of this now. The rot settled into the, err?, "urethra" of the trich dick. Very venerial :D . Icky...

Any way, I cut the offending tip off the pup, and also cut the pup off the main trunk. Might as well graft it onto a pach and get some pups out of it.

Those are lookin' good darcy. Hopefully the hylocereus can support the plant as it grows..Maybe you can eventually bury the stock when the bridgesii gets too big.

nice work :)

im going to do some Harrisia and opuntia grafts in spring

theyll suit the cold out here better than the hylos

i'd love to see some weird ass grafts too!!!!!!

current grafts of mine.

1> loph on bridgesii

2> 2 lophs on pereskiopsis

3> bridgesii monstrose on bridgesii (norm)

the monstrose graft has no areoles so nufin happening there yet, it's just firm as steel.

i wanna see some more!!!!!!!!!!

bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol well ive always been curious what would happen if you grafted a trich onto a loph :)

how about a triple graft :)

Teo, you're insane.

Well, I tried grafting a monstrose bridge onto a pach. We'll see how it goes. :)

Shieeet...I guess that proves how effective grafting is eh?

Is that the long variety of monstrose bridgesii?

its a funny one, the original plant looks to hav almost normal growth with a bald end, and the bit thats grafted looks like it was about to grow the head of the penis but then reverted and is growing some more. its like a really long bridgesii monstrose but not like SS clone A

Alright, here's some pics of my grafting attempt. It's been on there for probably 4-5 days now. It seems to be on pretty solid, but when should I know for sure if it's taken?

47b5d803b3127cce9226d033dae900000016108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5d803b3127cce9226d03e5bd400000016108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5d803b3127cce9226d03c5bd600000016108CYsWzhm3ba

Thanks, guys. :)

Just thought I'd update here on my bridge grafting.

I now have 3 grafted plants and plan to continue adding to them.

Here's the one from above..

47b5d611b3127cce93bd88aed8fb00000015108CYsWzhm3ba

This recently done on a Myrtillocactus geometrizans.

47b5d611b3127cce93bd88af59ca00000016108CYsWzhm3ba

And this one as seen in the "some summer shots" thread.

47b5d611b3127cce93bd88ab59ce00000015108CYsWzhm3ba

I never knew grafting was so easy! :) I've been using ear care antiseptic for sterilizing blades.

The active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride..there shouldn't be any problems with this should there? :confused:

Cheers

Has anyone noticed a significant burst in growth when grafting the monstrose bridgesii?

In all honesty,my monstrose bridgesii mother plant outpaces every single trich I have in terms of growth,except for the standard bridgesii ofcourse.

I suppose this could be due to its being in a very large pot (18'' wide and deep)and receiving as much water as my tropicals.

In a single growing season I average six full grown pups,two waves of three.

This year the cactus gods gave me nine pups.

Just wondering,I've been wanting to graft a few for quite awhile myself.

Yeah, I've noticed they take a little while to get goin after you graft, but once they do the growth is accelerated quite a bit. I had a pup sprout on a graft and on the mother plant that's on its own roots at the same time and the grafted plant grew at nearly twice the rate.