The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
alucinare

San Pedro Cultivation

I just bought two san pedro cactus' and was wondering what are the ideal cultivating conditions? or can anyone direct me to site which has some good relatively easily info. But i would rather info relating to Aus condition.

thanx

Most important things is to avoid over watering in winter. In Brisbane they continue to grow through the winter so they can take some water but in Sydney they are very likely to be dormant over winter so you should avoid over watering

Guest electro

if they have been under shadecloth or indoors, only slowly bring them ouyt ....

ie increase sun exposure each day or they will burn..

after they are used to full sun.. they LOVE full sun

they also love LOTS of water, but ONLY when it is hot ... i DRENCH once every day or so in summer...

only water once every month if that in winter ...

if they sit with wet feet they have a high chance of rotting...

apart from that they look after themselves :)

alucinare The pedro's come from a VERY hardy place that is usually totally snowed under and can take extreme punishment. The biggesy thing you have to worry abou is parisites, give them a good dose of confidor (bunnings or local nursery) and leave them in a sunny spot and give them pleanty of water, when ever you can be bothered give them a good soaking. But like electro says don't let em rott, make sure they have enough drainage and dont let em get TOO SPOILT!

Guest electro

yea, fert in summer, not in winter .. they dont grow much over winter so they dont need it ... they are bloody hungry in summer tho ...

i give em heaps of miracle grow and seasol & they love me for it ... i dont know that you are supposed to feed plants with both .. but hey, they seem to like it :)

Heres and excerpt from Furst (1972) fLESH OF THE GODS

CHAPTER 4 DOUGLAS SHARON

THE SAN PEDRO CACTUS IN PERUVIAN FOLK HEALING

pg 120

"According to Galvaez there are several types of San Pedro, distinguished by the number of longitudinal ribs. The kind most often used by curanderos has seven ribs. Four ribbed cacti are very rare and are considered to have special curative properties. The varieties found in the Andean highlands are said to be the most potent, whatever the number of ribs, because of the higher mineral content of the soil."

(next paragraph also states that the thinner cacti are preferred as they make a better brew)

It seems to me that whatever fertiliser used it should be supplemented with mineral tonics and the N:P ratio should probably be as close as possible (Blood and bone is good like that)

i have had them go dormant here in sydney the past few years, except this year some i had on the roof of a pergola (for lack of space ) just kept on going, they were peru', pach, and brigesii monstrose, a couple of metres in altitude made a big difference, i live pretty coastal though.

Insulating the root zone from cold soil temps - for example on foam or a stand can delay dormancy ifthe days are warm even if the nights are sub zero