The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Importing Cacti pups

Im familiar with the AQis webiste and have tried to get a straight answer but havent suceeded

Does anyone here have experoence in trying to bring in soil-less cacti pups of permitted species

I am super keen to get some of these , no psychoactivity - that we know of - but really nice and prob cross fertile with active species

ISI schick hybrids from Huntington

http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/Sch...alogindex5.html

so purdy :D

as usual plants r dirt cheap but importation could be expensive or it could be horrendous

so yeah anyone? experience?

[ 01. June 2004, 00:54: Message edited by: reville ]

If you go ahead with importing please get some hoodias as well...

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

I'd love some of those Echinopsis hybrids, "Spellbound","Monet" and "Eroica" just for starters but unfortunately it's a no go.

Cacti have been put on the CITES list - Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species, which often seems to have more to do with regulating trade rather than saving endangered species. The justification in this case is that the parents of hybrids had to come from the wild and agricultural inspectors can't tell the difference, so the whole family is restricted.

John Trager from Huntington Gardens can't be bothered with the red-tape and bureaucracy that goes along with this - trying to get CITES permits etc., so he no longer sends these and other cacti overseas.

Even when you can get cacti into Australia they're classified as nursery stock, as such they require an import permit. They must undergo fumigation on arrival and must be grown for a minimum of 3 months at a quarantine facility to undergo disease screening - which you pay for!

The hassles just aren't worth it, not to mention the cost.

Bummer ay!!

P.S. Some species like Trich. might be easier to get into Australia but the rest still applies.

[ 03. June 2004, 13:13: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

Yes if you have a friend in America it might be easier. You would also avoid having to fork out $70US for a phytosanitary inspection and certificate. Just the idea that quarantine could destroy it on a whim is enough to put me off though!

My limited understanding at this point is that anyone exporting cacti from America needs a CITES permit.

On the australian side of things it's positive. I gather that any species listed on the AQIS web-site is allowed in and both Echinopsis and Trichocereus are listed.

EDIT: In America ALL cacti are on CITES and I don't have a link to explain it. But Huntington Gardens seem pretty pissed with it all, sounds like it's all got a lot harder in the last couple of years.

[ 07. June 2004, 16:39: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

I guess Huntington Gardens were arguing that hybrids shouldn't be on CITES at all and rightly so but how's an inspector supposed to tell the difference? They've stopped doing Euphorbia's, Aloe's ,Pachypodiums, the list goes on but they still do Haworthia and Agaves.

I'm sure I recall either Friendly or Stonehenge saying they sent trich. cuttings O.S., maybe ask them what the deal is. It's probably places like Huntington that have to play by the book that get burnt the most.

I'm the same just picking up bits and pieces from BigW or Bunnings. Certainly haven't got any 6 inch flowering babies like some of those hybrids! Your best bet is to get in touch with some of the cactus societies and ask who's got some impressive Echinopsis's and let me know when you find some!

P.S. You're right about that certificate being worthless overhere, here that means diddley squat, total waste of cash!

[ 04. June 2004, 11:47: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev

tdnntbh

Edited by Rev