The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

pigment-less Trich. or just a sick seedling?

werdseedlng0.jpg

this heres a normal Trich. werdermannianus

whitewerd.jpg :confused:

I have removed 2 very sick (thin white mold growing on them :( ) seedlings from the same pot this one was growing in.. wonder if this may be the beginning of the end for this little fella. reckon i better get me some fungicide and keep n eye one this one, if he stays white and alive i guess ill need to graft him right?

Oh my God, graft right away! That is so cool! I hope you are good at grafting.

~Michael~

well i wouldve like to have a bit more experience grafting before trying this , but i ended up trying to graft him a couple ov hours after my post,.. and pretty sure i fucked it up

:( :mad: :(

man it was a bit tricky coz he was so small , i ended up just trying to centre him on top of the ring as best i could

looked okay til this morning, now hes very dehydrated and im a bit emotional about it all.

maybe i shouldve used a small C.peru instead of the T.spach stock or maybe i squeezed him too hard positioning him on the stock.. or maybe..

anyway im gunna attempt a couple more seedling grafts.. anyone here had success , any good tips?

i am sure you did a better job than most of us.

i hope, "lil white pedro" grows up strong.

albino plants are hard to establish...

realy, thx for those pics,

never saw anything like that, ever!!!

question:

what have you done with the bottom part,

chances are it will grow again.

sorry to say, just lost a young loph seedling,

it was covered with "white fungi" grow.

the fungi dies with airflow.

the graft union might benefit from a

moisture dom (maybe dangerous because of fungi infestation) or realy low stress,

meaning all shaded and lower tep.

correct me if wrong!

simply avoid all water loss to the cacti as much as you can!

i just had a silly idea, use ipa or after shave mist to kill of all nasty's around fungi affected stock. or add few drops of white king or similar household bleach to water and use this via a mister, but only very scaresly.

or is it a case of etiolation sp?,

say starved for light syndrom.

[ 19. January 2004, 11:42: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Would dusting with food grade sulphur stop the fungi without hurting the cacti?

heres a couple of my little 2-3 month old T.Pachanoi

whiteped.jpg

[ 21. January 2004, 08:51: Message edited by: narayan ]

i had it under a dome until today, had a good look and i actually missed the ring by about halfa millimetre. i really shoudve used a loupe or something to line it up

i still havent rid of the fungus, was worried about ipa's effect on the roots if i sprayed it on the soil, i have sulphur for dusting tomatoes, anyone know if this will be okay? , coz i cannot fit fungicide into the budget this week

nice pic narayan is that fella still alive? looks like it may be more common than i thought, is the correct term for them Albino?

Yeah hopefully its still alive. It went that white after I put it in a really sunny position for a day or two. Its strange though how out of 10 seedlings only one went really white.

All I can say is that it will look trippy as if it grows up into a 3 foot high white pedro!

For pests in the soil or for fungus, try neem oil. It's good for bugs, fungus and even kills bacteria on contact. There are other things you can use but some of them will burn the plant. The no pigment cactus can grow large if it has a good host. It may outgrow the host at some point and have to be regrafted. It will never be able to live on it's own unless it starts to become green which would spoil the special effect.

Stoney