The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cimora

Sceletium Growing Crisis/Muck up

I got 10 seeds, used a peat based seedling soil, from which germinated 2 sceletium sprouts, which i left in a humidity dome for 3-5 days after they sprouted. Then I transferred them to next to my window. The conditions are; summer in a temperate region (new zealand), so plenty of sun, high humidity generally, although NZ has some erratic weather and wind but ive kept the window closed during any winds.

The first sprout died, it drooped, then bent and then withered. The second sprout which I thought was significantly stronger, and has lasted longer is now drooping. Have I over-watered them? (Ive been trying to keep the soil moist, is that wrong for this species?), or have I screwed up the soil or the location for them to grow in? what can I do? desperately seeking help!

I know this isnt a growing forum, but if any one knows what i can do to save my last little baby, its prolly one of you guys

Thanks!

[ 07. January 2004, 17:13: Message edited by: Cimora ]

seed sprouting can be a delicate process. if cuttings or rooted plantlets are obtainable i'd definately give them a go, it's easier and you'll have harvestable biomass faster.

i lost aswell a sceletium baby,

there was nothing i could do.

it has nothing to do with your setup or skill levels, some sceletium seedlings die young.

concentrate allready on your next attempt,

and dont let your head hang down.

maybe your seedling is "damping off" to avoid this,

use allways sterilized pottingmix and pots.

never overwater, once the seedling emerged.

dont stress out a baby plant by giving it too much sun.

you hope for a miracle cure well,

if all seems lost, maybe you could try to sterilise medium and plant by applying a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide, never done this myselfe, but maybe it helps. shroom growers use that stuff often to keep cultures clean.

buy only premium grade seedrising mixtures,

use a ice cream container and the micro wave (several min on high) to sterilize.

pots and surface area, clean with hot water than

with a few drops of white king and water.

even the seeds could carry damping off pathogenes,

so add a few drops of white king to water and clean the seeds surface that way, just for 5-10min or so than sow close to the surface.

[ 08. January 2004, 05:58: Message edited by: planthelper ]

It's a bit tricky to keep these things alive during the first year (in my area of the world at least). The first and only time I tried growing from seed only one seedling survived, but it was a very strong plant, it eventually died because a maltreatment - too much water and cold I guess. Luckily I took a cutting and it's still alive. Enough about me. It sounds like overwatering, but check this out:

http://members.tripod.com/~mesembry/html/m...eralculture.htm

Good luck,

Ash

Thanks you heaps for your responses. I figure its powlly either overwatering causing rot (because it may be in a dormant phase, thanks for the link), or the general humidity is too high and i need to grow under lights or in wind. Ill keep you guys updated - ill give it a while without water and see if it recovers, and keep the sun low too.

I wouldnt know where to start with sterilising agents though..

If i fail, ill order some more and take more care with the soil composition and sterility.

Your advice has been _very_ useful, even if in a second attempt. Thank you, good karma to you all, and thanks for the the link. :)

Goddess willing, a miracle will be mine. Keep you posted. Blessed be :)

[ 08. January 2004, 10:20: Message edited by: Cimora ]

but later,

when they are older, you have to,

fert, repot and water quite a lot,

to keep them happy and green.

mine never stop growing,

if you get to many sceleton/lacepaper leafs,its time to fert or repot or plant out in the garden!

even in the vegie patch you have to nurture them.

something else i remember now:

how long since you sowed those sceletium?

i mean because, i was lucky to get some healthy seedling after 2 months of waiting.

in short,

you might see more seedlings popping up!

[ 08. January 2004, 11:39: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Not wanting to sound dorky but....

shouldn't this thread be moved to the Cacti and succulent forum?

for later easy searching.

Sceletium and most other succulents tend to go dormant right about now.

My sceletiums are just sitting there, they tend to do the biggest growing spurts in winter-spring and autumn

Try not to over water them (let the soil dry out a bit before re-watering) and humidity domes should only be used to germinate them, as soon as they are out get them used to the dry air over the span of a week.

I preferably don't used any humidity domes for succulents.

E D

thread moved to cactus forum