The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Pictures of Sceletium

Here are some pictures of the "Ed" strain.

The old mother plant that is showing her age a bit.

sceletiumED0.JPG

sceletiumED2.JPG

sceletiumED3.JPG

sceletiumEDbud.JPG

The unopened flower bud that I prized open to display the inside petals and colouring. The petals were actually white (although they look yellow on the picture) and the pollen is still quite young and deep yellow.

sceletium.JPG

For comparison the mother plant, a cutting from her before the winter (also starting to flower) and the "Luke the Lad" seedling.

Sceletiumtortuosumluke.JPG

Sceletium tortuosum "Luke the Lad" seedling

Sceletiumjoubertii.JPG

Sceletium joubertii seedlings.

I will also take a picture of an "Ed" patch planted in the ground, well watered and next to a Camelia bush (fleshier, greener leaves and no flowers!

(watch this space)

[ 08. October 2003, 19:20: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

my tortuosum and luke the lads seem the same,mine is just older.

good to have some pics to work from!thanx!

t s t .

Some more piccies:

Sceletiumpatch.JPG

The patch under the camelia, showing a lusher, greener and stronger growth. It looks quite different to the potted one, which would be root bound and much drier.

The flowers have opened, anyone care to have a guess at it's ID?

Sceletiumflwr.JPG

Sceletiumflhoriz.JPG

From the side

Sceletiumflbrdseye.JPG

From the top

I forgot to mention for people in Adelaide.

Apparently the botanical gardens there have Sceletium tortuosum. It should be flowering right now.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/cgi-bin/bgsearch

Also another good link to Sceletium info:

http://www.maya-ethnobotanicals.com/articl.../sceletium.html

[ 16. October 2003, 15:21: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

there is a plant just down the road from me that that is quite large the only difference in appearance from the pictures that were last posted is that it has pink flowers

[ 16. October 2003, 14:05: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

Here are the results from the RBG-Melbourne Aizoraceae expert ID of a cutting of the "Ed" strain, but the fruit id is required for full identification:

Val has tried to key out your plant.

It is SCELETIUM SP. either:

S. EMARCIDUM (fruit valve wings present)

or S. EXALATUM (fruit valve wings absent)

Well, we were all wrong. But we should test this species for Mesembrine content, Torsten have you got your analytical systems running?

Is Sceletium self fertile or do you need two plants for viable seeds

[ 02. November 2003, 15:07: Message edited by: Ramon ]

Ed, no we haven't even built the building yet :(

Emarcidum is interesting as it is used traditionally too. Not sure about the other.

My Ed plant still hasn't flowered, even though my WD plant has been doing it for weeks.

Hey Ed, any chance of getting your friend to copy the key out of whatever book she is using and posting it here? Or even if you could find out the title then I can try and track it down. Would be good to have handy.

Is Sceletium self fertile or do you need two plants for viable seeds

I think this species is, as the fruit is swelling slowly after I hand pollinated a couple of them. But anything could happen, they could just fall off and the swelling could be part of that process. so I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see (unless anyone else knows...)

Hey Ed, any chance of getting your friend to copy the key out of whatever book she is using and posting it here? Or even if you could find out the title then I can try and track it down. Would be good to have handy.

I have emailed him before the weekend but no reply yet, it is the Cup long weekend so he probably hasn't read it yet.

It would be good to know tho'.

My Sceletium is flowering profusely now, the one in the shadier spot in the ground isn't yet, just about to start.

[ 04. November 2003, 14:39: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

Just ordered a taxonomy book on Aizoaceae. At that price I could only get volume 2 (I presume it is sorted by genus). So maybe we can do our own keying in the near future.

Beautiful plants.

Keep up the good work Ed.

It'd be great to see these guys popping up as landscaping plants.

my eds looks like it has 10 to 20 fertilized pods,the other one has had all flowers turn brown at the base and fall off.

t s t .

Taxonomy book has arrived. Pics are next to useless as they are taken in varying climates and seasons. But yeah, it loks like we need to wait for those valves before we can pin this down 100%.

I will post the key in the next few days.

Excellent!!!

Yep,sorry, the guy from RBG-Melb hasn't replied yet. They do seem to keep him busy.

You probably have the same book, but you never know.

Torsten, I found out the book is in German (is yours?).

I'll hopefully get a photocopy of the relevent pages when I drop around there again.

It'll be nice to clear up any mess.

Mine is in english. haven't written it up yet as i want to do a full pictorial ID page up that everyone can use. To do so it would be good to clarify what exactly the fruit valve wings are.

I have the photocopy of the Botanische Jahrbucken 118(1), 1996

Revision of the Genus Sceletium N.E.Br. (Aizoaceae) by Maike Gerbaulet

I could scann some of the pictures (or send you a photocopy of the text, or both)

The fruit valve wings are the tepals, which in some cases persist on the fruit in a wing like fashion.

It lists Sceletium: crassicaule, emarcidum, exalatum, expansum, rigidum, strictum, tortuosum and varians. Any other "species" are listed under these as a being the same

(joubertii seems to be placed under tortuosum) I find this a bit confusing as the joubertii specimens I have seem to be quite different from what you expect to be a tortuosum, hair in the leaf nodes, white seed, marked different leaf shape.

Also two papers I found list a group of 3 alkaloids that are found only in joubertii (joubertiamine (II), dihydrojoubertiamine (III), de-hydrojoubertiamine (IV)

Tetrahedron Letters No.57, pp. 3237-3240, 1970.

J.Ethopharm. 50, 1996, 119-130

I can email the .pdf's if anyone is interested?

[ 22. December 2003, 15:37: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

would love a copy.

so what are the tepals. I presume they are below the sepals? or is it just a misspelling of petals?

how big are they? can you point to them on one of the pics plz?

hey i just found a big patch of what looks to me exactly like the pictures above with same flowers only red on the street.

sceletium is smoked to get a cannabis type of effect yes? or to potentiate the effects?

My local library has the books for the whole of the Aizoaceae, Asclepiadaceae (though they comment that the name of the book should be Apocynaceae as that is where they appear to be now), monocotyledons and Crassulaceae.

Want the full synonymy they give for Hoodia gordonii?

Ed, you seem to have a pretty good idea how we operate here...(ha, ha).

I've just checked this forum and came across your topic. sorry about the delay. I've emailed the guy and we should have the answers soon.

I don't know much about that book but I see you've got all the details right?

Also, next time I see Val I'll get him to identify that Sceletium joubertii or at least to narrow it down a bit.

Cheers

Vanda

Vanda,

I see you managed to get a free hour on the computer

The "joubertii" could either be:

(Darcy)

"Aeonium or Anacampseros retusa

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Por...ros_retusa.html

Don't think it's this one.

http://www.lapshin.org/succulent/anacte.htm "

I think Darcy found a good candidate, looking just from the picture.

The A. telephiastrum (second link) does have a recognisable flower spike, shame the other picture doesn't show a flower spike.

Not that it would necessarily help with identification.

Maybe these links could help with sifting through the "shit" of id-ing

[ 12. February 2004, 10:07: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

Torsten,

Maybe we could get a sceletium page up with pictures to help with this mess.

diagrams of the leaf skeletonised structures would be good too.

As well as other things from that paper, scan it in or if an e-copy is available.

E D

I am working on it. Feel free to send me anything you have.... (preferably in e-format)