The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

peyote turning to mush...pls help

after coming back from my break i found one of my little babies has become very soft with a bit of juices coming out of it. it also has become a bit darker and to make things worse sometime in the past 24h another has started to do the same thing, only on one side so far and not too bad. my other ones are fine. can anyone give advice on how to remedy this or would i nneed to throw the soft all over one out? could i at least save the one that's only starting to go soft?

and should i keep my other ones away from these two? any help greatly appreciated!

thankyou

aaron

Sounds like root rot,I had 1 puppy years ago and my 'girlfriend' at the time thought she'd do me a favour and keep watering it while I was away :rolleyes:

To which I replied"Where the F :P ck do you think these things grow???)

(Sorry had to let it out!)

i had to throw the two out:sad::sad:mad:

the other 2 are fine tho:D

I can empathise

So can anything be done?

I'm a little concerned about one of mine. It seems to be a bit soft and squishy...

Fungicide?

they should be going into dormancy at the moment?

I read that watering during dormant period (natural conditions) will just turn the cactus into mush, so possibly stop watering until spring arrives.

I'm no expert on the matter, just a thought.

Yeah, I think over watering's the prob, I have had a 12" piece of Tricho sitting on my shelf for 12months and she keeps popping puppies as it shrinks :confused:

I've misted her about three times throughout!

i hadn't watered mine at all since i bought them, they were just sitting in my room(as i don't have a greenhouse or anything:()

That is very sad.I have been going through similar heartaches having 3 ariocarpus mush out on me.It,s very hard to take when your old friends turn into rot balls.

[ 24. May 2003, 15:23: Message edited by: Osprey ]

If this happens again and it looks like the plant is headed for disaster, take the entire plant OUT of the soil and allow it to dry out in a shady spot. If it wrinkles up and dies, it was meant to be. More than likely though, it will stop decaying and "harden" up. When you are sure its not going to die any more, repot it and keep it dry for awhile until it aclimates again. I've had to do this to save many of my cacti at various times. For some reason, they will all of a sudden do this (start to decay) for no obvious reason(s). Its very disheartening when it happens... but the strong survive, I guess.

Hmmm..

Did you put them in direct sun, Behind glass or anything ?

You talking about one side...

One side of a few of my Peyote ones got all fucked up because of the sun burned them :S

Now they are allright tho... one is growing sidewards because he fell on his side when he was all mushed up lol

peace

So can anyone tell me how to know when a Loph needs to be watered? I tried asking at EBA but no one replied... someone must know the answer to this seemingly simple question.

They've gone soft as a plant requiring water would be expected to... they have not been watered properly since I planted them 5-6 weeks ago.

Also, on the topic of watering, I've been instructed to fully water them and then let them dry out completely. Someone else told me in their natural environment the water they receive would be in the form of light dew in the morning and so they should be misted every couple of days only. Any ideas wonderful people?

when i grew my peyote from seed i gave them a good watering to start off with then alowed them to dry out and started to give a very light watering with a spray bottle every couple of days and it all seemed to work ok for me

well ime completely fed up with lophs on their own roots - stinkin things

Ive lost both my parent caespitosas several of their pups and others from careles mistakes - and considering how old they must have been the chances of making a mistake are high enough to make it alsoms inevitable that all my plants would eventually succumb faster than i can grow them to nay respectable size

so im on a grafting campaign and until i get a cactus greenhouse proper, thats all im doing - even with seedlings (graft)

maybe in 5 years ill have reclaimed the attrition that has occured in the last 2

same for all my arid cacti in fact

[ 13. June 2003, 04:46: Message edited by: reville ]

Got a bit of rot on a graft some time ago.

Soln: cut the rot off, stuff the hole with sulfur and stop watering for a while.

That was over 6 months ago now and apart from looking a little lop sided its happy and healthy :)