The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shroomy

peruvian traits

i have had five peruvians in my possession for nearly twelve months now and only one has doubled in size. the other four have doubled the size of there spines as did the first one before it began increasing tissue mass. is this normal or should they be growing quicker than that? also is there a way of inducing pups? all help ,would be appreiciated.

i'm no expert but

i cut the top off my peru. and althought

the main branch isn't really growing, it produced 5 fast growing helthy pups!

hope this helps smile.gif

aaron

Bought 7 tr.peruvianus last february and all of them have been growing nicely, probably doubled... My largest peruvianus is approaching 1 metre and growing 2 shoots out of the side of it for balance, I've had that one approx 11 months...

I think peruvianus should grow as fast as pachanoi...

the only ones that seem to grow slower are the bridgesii monstrose....

For what its worth,

I have a Torch(T. Peru) and a San Pedro(t. Pach).

The Torch is slow, but growing, and the San Pedro is growing really well. The San Pedro only a foot and a 1/2 or so big but is currently producing a pup, about the size of a lychee in a month. The San pedro is really liking this weather, its grown about 5 inches in just over 2 months whereas the Torch has grown about 2 inches. I have marked one set of spines with permanent pen so I can wacth'um grow.

l8r Kai

just waiting (patiently) for them to flower, heh you should try waiting for Peyote!

On a totally different note, being from Scotland we don't get such cool wildlife, so bear with me. Anyway the other day I was sitting in the car when I saw this green insect crawling up my leg. It turned out to be a praying mantis. Well, I thought it was cool. So in it goes into seed germinating thingy with plants and rocks and stuff. I feed it whatever life will fall out of the trees in the garden when i give them a shake. Lots of small creepy crawlies.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I intend to keep it as a pet(our lease says we can't have pets but who cares, the inspection didn't notice the pet tardigrade I have already got). It has survived about a week, Anyone with any experience know whether they do well or I shall I just let it go?

Guest wira

I think it might be good to let it go. I don't know for sure but I expect praying mantis' would not deal with captivity all that well. They are intelligent, predatory creatures who enjoy not being spotted [and it would know it's been spotted of course, because it's been caught and fed by you], and I think they would get very bored with captive life quickly. Some creatures really need their pride, and I think mantis' are in with that wink.gif

I know it's tempting to keep it, they are amazing creatures, but it might not be for the best.

Originally posted by gomaos:

Bought 7 tr.peruvianus last february and all of them have been growing nicely, probably doubled...  My largest peruvianus is approaching 1 metre and growing 2 shoots out of the side of it for balance, ...

it must be me gomaos because im thinking you bought yours at the same place i did (eb2001). maybe i just dont have a green spikey thumb.

[This message has been edited by shroomy (edited 09 December 2001).]

Originally posted by shroomy:

[im thinking you bought yours at the same place i did (eb2001

Exactly. I bought them there. And as I can judge it, they are growing as fast as pachanoi, I'd dare say they have doubled in size at least.

I think it must have to do with the weather, I doubt you'd get the same amount of sun and heat during winter in the huntervalley that we get here in Brizzie...

If you have a worm farm, give them the juice from that. If that doesn't work, I don't think anything will. My cactus are going ballistic on it.