The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squiresk

Prickly pears

Anyone know of any wild Prickly Pears living in or near the ACT?

I heard they used to be a pest. There must be some remnants about.

One other thing, when do they fruit?

Kai

Guest DragonFyre

the thinngs are everywhere growing wild up here in queensland.... just go for a walk out bush and your almost sure to stumble across one!!

Guest Mesqualero

Prickly pears ARE a pest and they grow absolutley everywhere... Im sure there are some in the ACT

they are frost sensitive, so no, don't bother looking in ACT.

Guest DragonFyre

a friend of mine actually decided to be a d*ck and make a prickly pear gardena few days ago... I discovered so as I was walking thru his front yard across the garden overgrown with weeds that contained the stupid lil &*@%$!! So if your ever willing to come up to central QLD coast you can help yourself to as many as u wish

and as far as fruiting (that I've taken notice anyway) once they get to a certain size they just grow a pink/redish fruit - doesnt have much to do with the season as Im sure I've seen them all year round with fruit... not sure bout winter though...

I,ve got four different types of prickly

pear(in pots)some of them have fruit now.

I havent been able to i.d. any of them properly yet but they dont seem to be the same as the escaped variety(rare around here).One(height:approx.1000mm) has hardly any spines at all with large dark green slightly elongated paddles.Two(h:approx.600mm) has heaps of evenly spaced white spines about 15mm long.Three(600mm) has both long single spines and patches of 3-4mm spines that are really hard to remove from my hands,this one has yellow flowers.Number four(600mm) has long narrow flat paddles with very small spines and a round trunk.I,d take some photos but I dont have a camera.