The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Peace_Patrol

Going monstrose?

Hey all,

I have a Trichocereus Pachanoi that is looking rather odd. It is a small specimen, about 20cm tall, and about 5cm wide. Anyway, in the past year or so it has been developing some very strange looking folds / bends between the areoles. The ribs are looking more 'zig zag' or bendy than straight, and there is often a tight crevace extending from an areole sight inwards towards the normal crack in between the ribs.

This is only happening in the newer growth area of the cactus, perhaps the top 7-8cm. It is well watered, though the ribs do look quite 'skinny'. I will try to get a pic of it sometime to help with my descriptions...but what I am mainly asking is, is Trichocereus Pachanoi var. Monstrose an actual seperate species, or can an ordinary San Pedro 'go monstrose'? And if this is going monstrose, what should I do? (Usually you see these ones more horizontal than vertical)...

On a side note, is 'Lophophora Williamsii Caespitosa' a seperate species, or can caespitosa peyote be grown from normal peyote's seeds?

Thanks for your help

can't help you with the first one, but...

caespitosa is a form and a variety (two different things). Both are included in the williamsii genus. Forma caespitosa would not be a separate species anyway, but var caespitosa used to be classed a s a separate species, but is not accepted as such these days. In fact, almost all Loph species are not included under williamsii as varieties. It's one of those 'lumpers and splitters' argument.

not all williamsii seed can be caespitose, but all var caespitosa seed is williamsii. The williamsii seed we sell has about 10% caespitosa in it.

Guest Monkey Shines

yes, the growth can become monstrous or crested, it probably isnt genetic because the seeds of a monstrous plant doesnt produce monstrous seedlings. You may be thinking of crested pachanoi when you say the growth is horizontal which is another type of mutatation. If it is monstrous then it will probably send out some normal pups, if you want to keep it monstrous then take the normal pups off or they will take over.