The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

peyote pollen please

My loph is about to start flowering in the next few weeks, which will be my first to flower!! But i don't have two, so i want to get some pollen if anyone on the forums has some?? as i would like to get some seeds. Can anyone help me out? i'll save some pollen from mine and will give it away if some one else would like it as well.

cheers

d

Sorry, can't help you out here, not for a few years yet wink.gif...but I was just thinking the same thing today...I think people should save the pollen from there peyote or san pedro, perhaps in small ziplock bags, you could do trades of it like spore prints.

On a side note, if you have a peyote, and it has buttons which you break off and plant seperatley, can these pollinate each other? I know with pedros they are self-sterile, its probably the same with peyote but hell, not harm in asking...

Good luck with getting pollen, by the way smile.gif

Guest reville

I was under the impression that Lophophora was self-fertlie unlike the cereoid cacti.

I was sure that id heard this, also due to the fact it has such small flowers and other small flowered cacti do tend to produce seed in isolation (mammilaria and gymnocalycium for example)

Whereas the cereoids produce massive flowers to attract a pollinator

If this is correct then does the size of flower: self compatibility rule apply in general, or no?

yep rev,

lophophoras are self polinating.

it'll flower,the flower will last a few dayze,then dry up.

a week or so later,give or take,it will produce a little pink fruit which contains the seeds.

i leave mine in for quite a while longer to dry out.

then open them up and dry the seeds out properly.

the times involved will depend on amount of light,heat water etc.

congradulations darcy and good luck. smile.gif

mine never flower at the same time, so it's lucky that they are self fertile or they would not produce such juicy seed.

Cheers guys, thanks for the info. i thought it would be self-infertile like most of my other cacti that have flowered recently, couldn't find a ref for it.

nice to know.

Wow, that is really cool! I was kind of annoyed because I am going to be getting a peyote button in a couple of days and I was thinking I'll have to wait till my others grow from seed before I can pollinate it...I am glad that they are self fertile!

So I take it they CAN cross pollinate as well? Or will they only accept their own pollen? There must be some way of getting genetic diversity > evolution.

By the way, Torsten, or anyone here who knows, what is the difference between the standard 'Lophophora Williamsii', and var. Texensis and var. Decepiens that are offered on this site? I would be interested to find out...

Loph can cross pollinate as well. don't know the vector though.

don't know much about williamsii varieties, sorry.

I heard that the viability of self pollinated peyote seeds is less then poly pollinated lop hops.

Can anyone elaborate?

So there is no difference in appearance of the texensis and decepiens varieties compared to straight Lophophora williamsii?

yes, there is a difference. but I don't know it.

worship.gif

"people should save the pollen from there peyote or san pedro, perhaps in small ziplock bags"

Not the best way to do it. You should collect all the pollen you can, desiccate it for 24-48 hrs using silica gell, put it in a small glass vial or microcentrifuge tube (my favorite), put it back in the desiccator for a few hours to drive out the moist air, then cap the vial while its still in the desiccator, remove it, put it in a small jar with some desiccant (silica gell, anhydrous MgSO4, or anhydrous Na2SO4) and put the jar in the freezer. Before use take out the jar, remove the vial, and let it warm up to room temp before opening.

That method works for most pollen (capsicum, cacti, corn, etc.) but NOT orchid pollen (or most other jelly type pollen grains.)

"and how do the folks at home do it?"

That is how I do it at home. What, you dont have microcentrifuge tubes and desiccators in your house?

No Auxin, none of those in my house, i guess i should move into the new century.

btw my cactus is flowering and looking good. did a bit of bee work today...