The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ozzy

neam tree

does anyone know where i might be able to get hold of a NEAM TREE to plant.not sure if it is available in aus but if anyone knows where i can get one i would be happy.

ozzy:

does anyone know where i might be able to get hold of a NEAM TREE to plant.not sure if it is available in aus but if anyone knows where i can get one i would be happy.

I bought a neam or neem tree recently at markets in Hervey bay for two dollars.

I could try and take a cutting if you can't find it from anywhere else but I think you probably will find it somewhere

pls forgive my laziness, but could this be grown in melbourne??

they don't even like our winters, so I am not sure how they would go in melbourne

there seems to be some debate over a southern growing species and its medicinal effects.

i use a byron sourced neem leaf,a quater teaspoon leaf per dose,but i saw a medicine garden[?] product which seemed to be the southern variety,dose was a whole teaspoon.

pride of india,pride of china there is certainly a common street tree doing very well in sa.

t s t .

t st, you're not referring to M. azedarach?

hi coin,could you please reword or expand your q?

thanx.

t s t .

this 'southern growing species'..

you referred to pride of india, is that melia azedarach? there's a melia azedarach var australasica

was just wondering how much is known of medicinal properties..most sources simply say poisonous

?

[ 07. June 2003, 16:21: Message edited by: coin ]

malcolm campbell on local abc radio show quoted peter bennett as saying southern [maybe it was white cedar i cant find my notes yet],could be used as an insecticide like the northern species and gave a recipe.there certainly is conflicting and confusing info on this issue about.re aussie sp,many people concider neem poisonous anyway.

i'd love to get this cleared up.i think i have about 6 of the local sp growing in a tub,over 2 metres tall,waiting for them to flower to verify id as they look similar to a few other plants.

the local sp thrives down here,its more solid and less leggy than northern sp from what i can see,also the seed pods are yellow rather than white[?].local botanic gardens just calls them m azedarach i think,will check again.

t s t .

Melia azedarach (Chinaberry, persian lilac, false neem, etc) is grown in many parts of the world as it is very hardy. However the azadirachtin content varies greatly from one population to another, with some being virtually devoid. Melia is totally unsuitable for use in mammals/humans due to a group of toxins called meliatoxins.

Azadirachta indica (Neem) is a cold sensitive tropical tree. It is the commercail source of azadirachtin and the source of medicinal neem products. It is generally accepted as non-toxic to mammals, although the TGA has limited its use for human applications. While the seeds are used for insecticidal use, the leaves are used to make ayurvedic and other preparations.

Azadirachtin is an antifeedant and works in two ways. Firstly it reduces the feeding urge of the insect and secondly it messes with the hormones of the reproductive and embryonic development systems. The concentration is highest in the seeds of Azadirachta indica and lowest in the leaves.

So tantra, looks like you got the Melia azedarach. Don't use this on mammals.

Originally posted by t st tantra:

whats the info source?

My head

Originally gleaned from various books, journals and websites over the years. If there is a specific bit you want referenced I can probably find it for you. As always there is a lot more to this story than my little synopsis....