The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Shark attacks advoidance ideas.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...harkattack.html

Sharks have pores on the snout to sense electrically at close range if the bitten object is worth eating.

Like electric rays or electric eels which acturallly can produce current for defense as they are laying in small ponds small crocs can't eat them.

Common detergent removes the muscous layer and blinds the shark which only affective before being bitten.Good idea if the ship is history.

Almost all people attacked have had a bugie board or surfer board which gives a surface outline of a baby seal or a full grown one when looking upwards.

Shark attacks stopping is somehow breaking that up surface outline with very refective tape at the bottom of the board or the side I would think.

The high tech solution is to create a electric field that is painfull to the shark pores snout that senses. Perhaps a battery or seperate zinc / copper line in sea water can creates a natural battery current for emergency purposes.

Boogie boards (shark biscuts' ) i thought had more of a turtle outlne ? More people are killed by pigs than sharks , how concerned are you about pigs ? I figure if it's time , then it's time .

With genetic engineering the intellintent pigs with need a leader for a uprising.

Thats you.

ROFLMAO

i suppose sharks are just a part of life around here , great whites are common as they hang around the local seal colony to get a feed. Seems they only eat when hungry , not so much of an oppurtunity feeder. Also a lot of the times there first bite is almost a taste , if it tastes bad they don't eat it (eg: surf boards).

The taste testing.... unfortunately usually means you bleed to death before you can get any help...... !!!!!!..... I see that they are almost at the stage where they're selling those new Surfboard leash's that have an electrical current running from the leash to some sort of electrode thing that you stick on the nose of the board..... it is suposed to create an electrical field around you that (as Devance said above) irritates the sharks electric sixth senses on their nose (ampullae of Lorenzini)!!!!!! :)

I don't think it will have much effect on genetic engineering pigs though.....!!!!!!!

great white teeth can be broken by struggling prey

so they rush their prey, take a bit bite, and circle the injured prey waiting for it to bleed to death.

this way you dont have a seal struggling around in your mouth breaking all your teeth and limiting your abilities to attack something else.

in terms of mistaking for seals or turtles i think sharks are smarter than that - they just know you are moving and probably food.

I really can't see the point in being concerned about shark attack . Unless you plan on bleeding in the water while you observe seals, you have to be pretty unlucky to be attacked. But people will always feel safer with things to protect them , i saw a parachute designed for people who work in sky-scrapers' and were paranoid after 9/11 ? " Hmmmm i feel much safer in the knowledge that if i see a 747 heading this way all i have to do run to the roof and give base jumping a go !"

I suppose if you feel the need to have an electricly charged surf board you may need to consider another sport . On the other side , maybe the electric charge would shit the shark so much that he will just eat you for pissing him off ? Or maybe it will attract a school of electric eels to mate ? Possibly it could also give whales and dolphins the shits ? I know the siesmic testing they do for off shore oil bothers the whales.

But the easiest solution , is just like in one of the old school batman movies , where Batman carried a spray on bootle of shark repelant and as the helicopter carried them off into the sun set with a shark attached to Batman's leg he reaches into the Batbelt and removes the can wich he sprays on the shark to make it fall off.

i was a diver working on a sea cucumber boat and a fello crew member was taken by a shark, we pulled his body in and the shark had taken one bite, in one bite it took off his face, chest and stomach. not a pretty site, so i tried diving after that but i didnt like coming up from 30+m not being able to see the bottom and having sharks (whalers and reef sharks) circling me and getting playful. that said i always knew if i was to get attacked it would not be by a shark i could see but by one i couldnt see.

Interesting, I didn't know they had thought of the electric stuff already.

But on the surfboard with a reflective surface.

A entirely mirrored surboard would be cool, maybe call it the silver surfer after the comic book guy.

But a refective stripped pattern or a multiple dot pattern might be considered on the bottom.

In nature the ultimate scare pattern is the eye pattern that butterfly and moths do so well.

A shark startled by a huge refective eye overhead isn't thinking about an attack.

Like you say mostly just a comforting thing than actually necessary.

But many a person has become rich simply by providing what the public wants.

In this case a mylar type sticky film application on the bottom of the surf board.

Or a custom manufactured mirrored surf board.

I'm wondering if a diver wore a holographic eye type

pattern plastic panel in front and in back if that would prevent diver shark attacks.

It could be as thin as plastic wrap and not constrict or endanger a divers movements.

Just a thought... about the reflective surface..... I've heard that reflective shiney things, such as jewelry actually attracts sharks...!!!! Just imagine a huge shiney fishing lure..... just dangle some big shark hooks off the back..... !!!!!!!

[ 01. July 2005, 01:38: Message edited by: Humanfuel ]

Sharks are used to seals which are not shiny.

The only the thats shiny is a rounded up school of sardines. Sharks can take advantive of porpoised roundup.

quote:

i was a diver working on a sea cucumber boat and a fello crew member was taken by a shark

That's a full on situation to be in Teo , must have effected you greatly (don't suppose workcover supplied counciling ? ) I have a friend down here who works as an Ab(alonie) diver , just like picking $20.00 notes But he also deals with sharks everyday. He claims if he was worried about sharks he would not get any work done , so he just gets on with it.He claims that great whites are teritorial , and if you have an old shark in one area , you can almost form a relationship of trust with it.The problems start when a new younger , more agressive shark takes over the turf and try's to lay down the law

Thats very soothing to the nerves.

The old shark gets used to one while the wild juevilnile sharks are a possible problem.

quote:

The old shark gets used to one while the wild juevilnile sharks are a possible problem.

That's why the divers don't want the old sharks caught (it's actually against the law to kill the big old ones), as soon as a young one gains control your in trouble as he does his best to defend his new area.

yeah we actually got one counciling session and i got told dont leave the country by the cops, there was an investigation but i dont think anything came from it. i never dived with a knife till after this happened.

Teo - you think a knife would help?

Unless you stab the bloke next you, and swim like fuck :D

The blue-orb syndrome is freaky. When you can't see the bottom or the surface and you're nearly weightless.

Condolences re your work-mate. Not a pleasant experience.

What happens with the cucumbers? I'd assume they're for export? And pretty expensive too?

Done a bit of ab-diving myself all along the West coast 2b. Off Cape Otway would have to be one of the best great white spots I've been to (or maybe the Knobbies at Phillip Island).

I can't see much use in anti-shark devices in cold waters. Maybe in the tropics to fend off the reefies.

Big whalers and whites tend to hit pretty hard and fast if they're keen.

As for the eye thing, many fish have such a marking towards the tail so that predators attack the wrong end. This attacts the predator, so maybe not a good idea.

I've had plenty of close encounters with dangerous animals, but sharks and crocs scare me. They're just too prehistoric and too efficent at killing. I think a lot of people feel this way hence the public response when someone gets got.

Not the animals fault of course. We encroach on they're habitat, denying them of natural food sources, and then scream when someone gets eaten.

ed

lol i know the knife wouldnt have saved me but it gave me somthing to wave around :) just made me feel a bit safer i guess :) cucumbers were for export to japan. before this experience i had no problems with sharks and used to chase them :D i wouldnt say im scared of sharks now just they make me uneasy, like i can control myself at 30+m no probs without panicking im just more aware of their presence now. i always though i would see the shark coming before it attacked and i thought i would have time to try somthing, but you wont, they are fucking fast when attacking somthing, you may see it but you wont have time to think.

Sea cucumbers are dried and sold on the asian market for a medicinal soup.

So expensive only the japanese can afford it.

But really no better than other herbs.

As far as a knife is concerned its probably better to get a regular diving knife as it safer.

A M-tech micarta dagger knife [e bay] is reassuring as it like a big larger tooth than even a dinosaur. Even a great white would take one seriously if stuck in the snout or the eye.

A laser cutout close copy of a randall fighting dagger.

Cheap at the price of 15$ but how practical, might be more dangerous to oneself than a opponent if one didn't keep it at all time directed at a opponent.

did u read about the guy a few years ago who went out into the surf,punched the fuck outta the shark who ate his nephews arm,dragged it onto the beach,recovered the arm which was succesfully re-atatched!!!!now thats a story to spin around the campfire!!!!!tough bastard!!!!

yeah i got a nice big diving knife :) the japs use the sea cucumbers as aphrodesiacs.

Another good campfire-shark story:

A friend of mine has a cottage on the south coast at a place called windy harbour. A guy there told her he'd been fishing at a beach nearby and had hooked a decent sized grey shark. He was having a tough time pulling it in and his mate volunteered to swim out and grab it. He swum out and wrestled the shark and managed to start pulling it towards shore. Then he looked up and saw that the first guy still had the shark hooked and he was in fact wrestling with a second shark !