The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Non human animals.

How much effort should i take on? I am currently caring for wayyy too many cats that i inherited from my somewhat catlady mum, when she got sick and i was caring for her i made a promise that i would look after them when she was gone, she said it was fine to put them down if need be(they are mostly reject cats with one issue or another so re homing for most ain't realistic) but i promised to care for them to put her at ease, i could see she was torn between wanting them cared for and not wanting to burden me(I have had my own issues and her not wanting to add to that was clearly a factor). I'm not religious or any woowoo inclined so realistically any promise i made to her is null and void as she no longer exists, but i still have an empathetic response for the cats i took responsibility for, I have recently started letting 2 of the elderly cats live in (my) part of the house as the cat area is a bit hectic(no fights and clean enough down there they just prefer it up here), means they will get a better last days but even more effort for me(cleaning mainly), as i got home today i see a bit shy of a fledgling bird running to hide near my car port( here it wont last a day ) so i take it inside. It adds to the hassle.

This is a "philosophy" post in the creativity,spirituality and philosophy section so I'm just venting i guess and no there is no actual answer,  just questions to ponder.

Two words: vet bills. 

But don't let that deter you from your duty -- to the living, not the dear departed. 

Good luck with the bird, especially. We had a sick budgerigar come round yesterday, until it took a last-ditch kamikaze dive for the bushes in the back yard. It'll be mincemeat, for sure (so many other birds, and cats). I didn't try too hard to retrieve it. But I have friends who surely would not rest, until they had it safely tucked away to recuperate. 

It's a balancing act, for sure: compassion, versus practical-mindedness. Only one of those is truly radical. 

I got no idea what kind of bird this one is, all i have to offer it atm is some homebrew cat food i make that is basically canned dog food, chicken egg, and canned mackerel all blended up into a paste in a syringe thing. it seems happy with that but not sure how it goes with nutrients it need or whether i'm gonna be around in hour ever many hours it starts sooking again.

I plan on doing what i can for the most part but just have a bad feeling its all gonna  come crashing down eventually. I guess the little bird today will survive if it does whether me or my efforts collapse in the long run.

On 08/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, ZooL said:

How much effort should i take on? 

It's a personal choice, there's no obligation to look after animals. I can understand wanting to care for them for your mothers sake, but they are a huge burden.

I don't want animals again because they limit freedom. It's not like they are children,  I don't think I could handle living with heaps of cats.