The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Coliumnar Cactus ID 8 Ribs Glaucel Skin Long Brown Spines

Trichocereus peruvianus

The first pic reminds me of Roseii and other Matucana peruvanoids.

8 ribs probably rules out bridgesii. 

Hybridisation is common.

What info do you have on this beauty? 

I can see a similarities in the Areoles with the Roseii 2 that I.

A friend of mine is selling it for $150 - yes she is beautiful - and I do not have a an 8 rib example. so I am looking to purchase it.

I have asked him about its pedigree but I am waiting to hear back.

As for identification someone should make up a flowchart for Trichocereus - like how many ribs does it have? More then 6 More then 8 More then 12? etc etc...

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

I have made deal for the above cactus an exchange of plants and cash. Pick up this Thursday.

I have a been looking online and the above example looks very much like a Trichocereus ROSEI 2.

My questions is would a Trichocereus ROSEI 2 come in 8 ribs or can it develop 8 ribs.

If not this must be a Matucana peruvanoids going by what has been said above and what I have read again online.

UNRELATED QUESTION 01

I have two thick Trichocereus growing in massive pots - they were 1 meter long cuttings about 1.5 years ago and have grown over 600mm in the the mean time.

This year they are throwing their first pups, one has 4 pups, and one has 5 pups. My question is how many pups can a single plant put out in one season?

UNRELATED QUESTION 02

On one of the Trichocereus has a pup growing from an areole, the a second pup has also come out directly above the first one on the next row of areole. I can see that they will both be competing for the same grow space.

What should I do?

Should I try to grow them both and let them fight it out OR try to graft one once it gets big enough to liberate? Or kill one now?

2 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

I can see that they will both be competing for the same grow space.

They will cooperate, not compete for space. Do nothing, and be amazed at how smart your plants are. 

I would say that Roseii *is* a Matucana peruvianoid. I haven't seen an eight-ribbed specimen, but wouldn't rule it out. Length of spines, number of ribs or pups are all partly a function of environment (sunlight, food, water, etc.). 

Edited by fyzygy

2 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

how many pups can a single plant put out in one season?

How long is a piece of string?

12 hours ago, fyzygy said:

Length of spines, number of ribs or pups are all partly a function of environment (sunlight, food, water, etc.).  

I noticed yesterday that all the pups are on the side of the cactus that gets the most sun. Then my friend said I should rotate the pot to stimulate more pups. Then I thought that the cactus should be put on a slowly rotating turn table. :-) The best solution for maximum sun exposure.

At this point I think I have an eight ribbed Trichocereus Matucana peruvianoid synonymous with Rosei

The least problematic ID so far would be first response above, Trichocereus peruvianus. That covers all possibilities, including ones you haven't considered. 

We know (or strongly suspect) that roseii originated in the Matucana region. It's a specific locale, even though "Matucana type" may have come to be used as a shorthand to describe physical (rather than geographical) characteristics. I wouldn't use it other than casually for a Tricho of unknown genetics. 

I have some anonymous Trichos with "peruvianoid" features. I'm tempted to call one of them "roseii 3" because it strongly resembles (but is subtly different from) both roseii 1 and 2 specimens that I have/had. You have to compare them directly in order to notice they're different. Similar, but different. 

I think "peruvianoid" and "bridgesiioid" were adopted by Keeper Trout to acknowledge the sheer diversity of individual specimens (i.e. a strong potential for wild hybridisation) in the face of inadequate classification schemes.

Even T. peruvianus runs into conflict with other naming and classificatory schemes (Echinopsis, macrogonus, etc.). But it's still your safest bet. 

This online seller has one that looks quite similar to yours, labelled "NOID" (no ID). Though it's obviously T. peruvianus -- or at least, has peruviaNOID characteristics.

Edited by fyzygy

I meet my source today to pick up the first lot of the aforementioned cactus. These two samples are the less cosmetically perfect versions I hope to get the nicer example in two weeks.

According to my source this was liberated from a large stand from a garden in my local area by some less then reputable people before passing through multiples hands to arrive at me - it should be called "half-inched". However nothing beyond that is know about it.  My source tells me that it lacks a white flesh being green all the way through, will need to confirm and I am told that it is very strong medicine.

The spines are massive certainly longer then anything in my collection and it is by far the most Glaucous of any of my cactus. I think this is certainly one of my favorites.

Wondering about the damage on the top, I could cut it off however I feel given time it will grow into a fine example.

I was also gifted with a 5 rib Echinopsis scopulicola I think.

IMG_0626.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0627.jpeg

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0629.jpeg

IMG_0639.jpeg

That's a cool plant. Too bad people don't divulge their sources, because private custodians often respond positively if you ask nicely. Why not cut the rotted tips off? You might be able to trim some of the excised material for grafting, as I'm sure others would be happy to add this one to their collections. And it's the right season for new pups to form on the planted stumps. Good score. 

At the moment these two cuttings do not have roots, if I cut of the top would that be a concern?

Happy to trim off the tops and try to graft the remnants and get some pups from this beauty. Considering I will be getting another more cosmetic sample shortly.

1 hour ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

At the moment these two cuttings do not have roots, if I cut of the top would that be a concern?

It could put energy into making pups, rather than roots. But it could already be putting energy into fighting an infection, rather than root production. I'd be keeping water well away from it, for the time being. 

I was just thinking - could I just lay the  tip cuttings log style on their sides putting the damaged parts face down and out of sight and that way it might pup and put roots out at the same time?

Thoughts?

If there is rot you would do better to expose those parts to sunlight and ventilation, rather than bury them. Horizontal takes longer, in my experience, for both roots and pups to form. It's hard to say why some cuttings throw pups and even flowers in preference to roots, no matter which way they're oriented. 

• Like 1

The damage is not rot. Its damage from when it was harvested and dropped.

Going by what you have said. I will just leave it standing up until it has roots.