The Corroboree
Alchemica

2 x free mixed succulent packs

I've devoted quite a bit of time to researching succulents so would like to share the love.

Can spare a couple (2) packs [Edit: one left] of free mixed succulents to the first couple of people interested (reply here and I'll get back to you)

1. Sceletium tortuosum cuttings

2. Sceletium emarcidum cuttings

3. Delosperma bosseranum mature plants
4. Delosperma echinatum cuttings

5. Trichodiadema stellatum cuttings

6. Lampranthus spectabilis (red) cuttings
7. Mesembryanthemum (Aptenia) cordifolium (purple) true form seedlings/cuttings. Can also include others including Aptenia haeckeliana if interested
8. maybe some Lampranthus aureus cutting

No WA/TAS

Something like this:

1678806624_mixedsucculents.thumb.jpg.250f268a7eaa2689dda734eaa848e819.jpg

Some of them can be a challenge to root up but see how you go. Only express interest if you're dedicated and keen please.

I'll include postage.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 4

I was just thinking I wanted to build up my succulent collection again after giving a lot of plants away due to moving 3 times in 5 years (twice interstate). I would love to take these off your hands then pay some more cuttings forward in future. 

A giant thank you to Alchemica expecting 9 or so cuttings I was greeted with 10 packets of plants and no just finding one example of each but rather several cuttings contained in each packet, included were three plants that were already rooted. In total Alchemica has furnished me with almost 40 plants. I had to double up many of them because I ran out of spare pots and soil.

A huge thank you.

I used a mix of potting mix and 4mm pumice stone for drainage - tomorrow I got to get labels for each and I will fertilize with some root stimulants.

IMG_0497.thumb.jpeg.26f2b4f85e3df685584c06c7df9f18ab.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 28/09/2023 at 12:02 AM, Alchemica said:

Mesembryanthemum (Aptenia) cordifolium (purple) true form seedlings/cuttings

What does "true form" mean? 

26 minutes ago, fyzygy said:

What does "true form" mean? 

My botanical nomenclature probably sucks but that's just to distinguish it from the common hybrids that often get sold as Aptenia cordifolia (eg red flowered varieties). This is the one (sets seed too)

undefined

On 28/09/2023 at 12:02 AM, Alchemica said:

share the love.

My mesembryanthemum must have come from you, at some stage. It's popping up everywhere in my garden. Sets seed like crazy. 

Is Sceletium emarcidum comparable to tortuosum? Haven't come across that one before. 

I had no luck rooting the lampranthus you sent a while back. But D. bosseranum seed has yielded a cluster of tiny seedlings. 

2 hours ago, fyzygy said:

Is Sceletium emarcidum comparable to tortuosum? Haven't come across that one before. 

It's said by some including herbalistics to be "valued as highly as S. tortuosum in Southern Africa by different tribes and makes a very good Kougoed product". and I vaguely remember Torsten (but don't quote me) making mention of it not really mattering if you grow emarcidum vs tortuosum. Personally, there's something nicer about tortuosum but my brain isn't a good test subject. Phytochemically, it seems the emarcidum is 4'-O-demethylated mesembrine-type alkaloids (phenolic alkaloids) over the parent mesembrine-type alkaloids. It seems to root up a lot easier from cuttings, grows quickly and grows a lot easier in many climates. That said, some people have fermented up emarcidum and not noted much effect but even tortuosum can be hit and miss with some people. 

I had no luck rooting the lampranthus you sent a while back. But D. bosseranum seed has yielded a cluster of tiny seedlings.

Yeah I have varied success with different cuttings at the best of times but good to hear what's worked for you.

Edited by Alchemica

Alchemica - the cuttings are doing well green and lush with some going into bloom and all - however the Sceletium emarcidum cuttings are not looking so good - their is obvious browning and drying out have you got any advice? Will it come right or do I need to do something different?

5 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

Alchemica - the cuttings are doing well green and lush with some going into bloom and all - however the Sceletium emarcidum cuttings are not looking so good - their is obvious browning and drying out have you got any advice? Will it come right or do I need to do something different?

These I find tend to get quite battered before they look slightly better as cuttings but they seem quite hardy. I think the lot of emarcidum I sent maybe wasn't in the best of health for cutting as it was flowering etc. I can maybe send more if you need it, or try to root some up for you

• Like 1

Once upon a time, Alchemica kindly sent me a couple of Sceletium varieties. Despite my best efforts, one of those browned, withered and died. The other one is much easier to cultivate, in my experience. 

Update from the package I got from - @Alchemica

I now have so many plants that I have lost count both from cuttings and from seed.

I have taken dozens of cuttings from the Mesembryanthemum (Aptenia) cordifolium so much so I recently helped a friend plant out her garden for her new house. Giving her cuttings from all of these and they have been thriving in the ground. I have given other cuttings to another friend.

I have got 100s of seeds from Delosperma bosseranum and from Sceletium emarcidum - I have planted them out in seed raising mix in mini green houses. I will see how they germinate But I think that it should not be a problem. Because I had a few cuttings that had seed pods on them, the pods burst open and out came a 100 seedlings. These things are almost weedy.

The following have been growing well but slowly the occasional flowers

• Trichodiadema stellatum
  • Delosperma echinatum
  • Sceletium tortuosum
  • Lampranthus spectabilis

The Sceletium tortuosum has been the slowest grower just holding on during summer. I hope that in winter it will pick up in growth.

I hope that next year I will have seedlings to share with people on here.

I have been sampling green leaves and I have found them to modulate my moods - when ever I am feeling stressed or down I sample a pinch and find it beneficial.

Tried fermenting a harvest of Mesembryanthemum (Aptenia) cordifolium but was not happy with the product. Might try to do an extraction. But doing a plant extraction using solvents i not something I am not familiar with.

• Thanks 1