The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

microsoft rocks

Spybot is free (actually honorware , you pay as much as you feel it is worth , if you want- very cool concept) , i think is from NZ and have been using it for a couple of years and couldn't be happier. Anyone not using anti-spyware programs should consider it , it's scary how quickly and how often these things appear.

the microsoft version is also free, & after using it for awhile now, & w/input from fellow surfers, i can say that this really seems to be ( :) ) a great piece ov software.

it runs in the background & picks up shit before it can install--& it seems to have a very large target range--has worked really well for me so far.

[ 08. February 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

hehe he eh - your antispyware is secretly sending back more info to MS.

indeed rkundalini they can not be trusted! :D

Lavasoft have released a freeby called Ad-aware SE available at download.com. It's great. :)

If you thought Spybot was good give this a go.

I much prefer it's interface and it finds a lot more nasties.

It saved my arse whereas Spybot left it bared to the elements.

well, if you're using windows then MS probably have all the info they need anyway.

this originally was not a mirosoft product, they just bought it---& they don't tend to buy shit.

adaware & spybot are good, but they only work when you run them.

the MS software scans constantly (w/out hogging RAM) & stops malware as it tries to load itself.

i have used spybot, & still have adaware but this new product gets more nasties than both ov them, plus it has an option to "cover your tracks"--ie:clean out all those cookies & temp. files.

---edit: i'm not a salesman for MS, but this seems to be a really good freebie.

[ 09. February 2005, 10:54: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

I suggest a mac.

[ 09. February 2005, 11:46: Message edited by: Flip ]

I'm no fan of MS and prefer Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD myself, but as far as Window secretly sending personal data back to MS, thats nuts. Think of all the corporate windows customers out there, where industrial strength security perimeter is in place. Don't you think it would be just a little bit obvious if the workstations started 'secretly' sending data back to home base? And with corporate paranoia about information security, this wouldn't be tolerated.

I'd be more worried about scammers than MS regarding my information security, if I was running windows.

I use firefox as a browser as apposed to IE and I never have any problems with adware because 99.99999% of adware are designed for IE and to get around IE's poor security ... and I don't press "yes" to installing some dodgy program from some dodgy site.

I also use private IPs, so no connections to my computer can ever be initiated externally (no port forwarding).

I have never bothered with personal firewall software because it is just another application to waste RAM and CPU time. However, I would recommend it if you just insist on using the most feature-less and problem prone browser there is, IE.

Window Washer is great for 'covering your tracks' I've always thought that if your disable the auto update function of the MS programs , there is less chance of them snooping around your machine ? :confused:

Spyware Doctor picked up yesterdays 3 adware installs I wound't of known about except for the unusual computer activity when online which made me activate the SP program. A almost constant event actually.

The Norton stuff can find some things but not others.

Experts Predict Spyware for Mozilla Firefox in 2005

NewsForge is reporting that several experts have predicted that spyware creators will begin targeting Mozilla Firefox this year. The increasing popularity of the browser will attract the attention of spyware creators, according to the article. The experts broadly agree that the assault will begin when Firefox commands around ten to fifteen percent of the browser market. It's predicted that developers and users of Firefox will fight back, with third party spyware removal tools also expected to offer protection.

Of course, if these experts knew what they were talking about, they would realise that spyware authors have been targeting Mozilla since at least last year and that several enhancements to protect against spyware have already been checked in. Meanwhile, professional Mozilla developer Doron Rosenberg notes that Mozilla Update has hundreds of unreviewed extensions, any of which could potentially contain spyware.