The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

B Caapi Propagation

Dear B Caapi growers

Somebody pruned my b caapi vine without my permission and it seems to be struggling to bounce back. It doesn't help that it's been brutally hot and dry. I want to make some cuttings in case I lose the mother plant. 

Is it better to strike B Caapi cuttings from hard wood or semi hardwood material? 

It currently has no leaves. Can caapi cuttings without leaves still be successful? 

Also, will caapi root in a glass of water? 

hard wood is prefered, thicker the better 

Ive seen hard wood root without leaves before, but the strike rate is much lower in comparison to healthy leafy cuttings. 

after trying sitting cuttings in water a few times, ive given up on this method 

Ive also tried sitting them in rooting hormone solution for a week before planting, that didnt seem to improve the strike rate either. 

They seem to root alot slower than other plants, sometimes it can take 3 months for the roots to form, depending on what time of year your propagating.

Keep them humid and be patient :)

This should help 

Thanks for the response. I saw the post by Casuarius and used some Google-Fu before posting but I didn't see much on people striking cuttings without leaves or by using the water method.

I've moved my plant into a more shady spot. I can see it has some green section and it looks like it's developing buds for new growth. I just hope that the heat isn't too much for the poor girl. It used to thrive so well. 

as a general note, its quite an upropable decision to take leafless cuttings...  

any pics?

Yeah, the lack of leaves worries me but I'll see how it goes. The cooler and more humid weather in my area might help it bounce back. No pics at the moment but if I'm feeling up to it I'll take some. 

Thanks for your input, people. 

jiffy peat pellets tied onto the nodes work wonders. Good luck.

• Like 2