The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Catchup at the Kava hut monday lunch?(Adelaide)

I have to pass through Adelaide this weekend to see family and i was hoping to take some of relatives along to the Kava hut for a drink.

Can anyone PM or post the locality for me?

Actually how about a Monday lunch catchup for anyone with spare time? Rellies are at work and I can chill out with anyone whos got the time till i need to get a taxi to the airport later that day. Otherwise im going to have to hang out at an office for a few hours :(

any interest?

Ok well ill be out of contact till Monday then

I guess ill see anyone who can make it for a beverage on monday...

dam just saw this msg, -I am always up for a kava--

its too late now but the location is hindley street - don't know the number but its toward west terrace and not too far down from the west tce. mcdonalds

[ 16. August 2004, 22:08: Message edited by: NatureBoy ]

well it trs out the Kava hut isnt open till 5 pm

bummer

next time i guess

I saw some cool plants around adelaide so ill be back im sure to collect again

sorry i missed you,haven't been on line for longer than i thought!would have had a gathering if i'd known!

t s t .

A little of-topic, but:

I live in the States (east coast), and I've never been to a kava drinking establishment (I think there are a few nakamals in Hawaii, but that is close to 10 hours by air!).

Could someone be so kind as to describe their experiences? What kind of drinks are made, how much is consumed, and -- most interestingly -- how are the drinks prepared? I'm sure they don't have masticating virgins! Blenders? Some kind of specialized grinder/maker?

Also, do they filter or just grind finely? I've found it very difficult to filter kava, so I'd be interested in how that could be done en mass.

you might drink up to 4l of kava or more,

the powder get's infused in cold water for 10min and than strained of with a cheescloth. traditionally a strainer made out of plant fiber is used. the effects are somehow similar to alcohol, but much softer and cosy.

if you are drunk with grog, you walk just like a drunk person, but the nice thing is that your mind stay's very clear. first it's uplifting than after a while you fall into a "kava nap" a sort of sleepy dreamy stage, and you only open your eye's if more grog is served to you.

kava often induces, lucid type dreams.

gom, recommands to mix kava with milk, and there is a good reason for this, the actives of kava are not realy very soluble in water,

but more so in milk, i think it's because oil and fat's are pullers.

maybe the milk act's similar like the chew and spit methode, and start's some sort of fermentation.

[ 18. August 2004, 09:44: Message edited by: planthelper ]

I just like the taste better with milk, and it's so much easier to wash all the kava powder down with the milk...

with water it might get stuck in your throat...

planthelper:

you might drink up to 4l of kava or more,

My god -- that's a lot of kava!

Dont get me wrong: I drink kava often myself and I'm quite well aquainted with the effects (having explored them all the way from unnoticable to day-long hangonver. I know how I make kava, and I curious how the professional establishments did it. Still, at 4L my feeling is that the cold-water infusion must be a little weak.

When I make kava, I tend to take three of four heaping spoons, add to about 4 oz. milk and 4 oz. water, add a good quantity of sweatened vanilla syrup (to kill the taste) and mix in a blender.

Slam down, unfiltered. Ugg. Hate the taste, love the effect (especally some of the Fijain cultivars; they have a quite euphoric chemotype). But drinking unfiltered kava is, er, challenging. I couldn't imagine that many people would make a social occasion of it.

quote:

the powder get's infused in cold water for 10min and than strained of with a cheescloth. traditionally a strainer made out of plant fiber is used. the effects are somehow similar to alcohol, but much softer and cosy.

I much prefer kava to alcohol, especially the chemotypes high in kavain and methysticin.

So is this the general procedure in the modern establishments, or more of a traditional preperation?

just to get me right, that 4l of grog was consumed with my fijian "double skin'ed friends"(double skin, means u are a heavy kava drinker) and i talk of, certainly very good kava and aswell traditionaly prepeared!!

i guess cold water pull's out other actives than warmer water, but after a while the water get's warmer anyway,... and yes the taste changes.

ever tried hot kava?