The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Acetyl-L-carnitine for depression - anyone tried it?

Just keeping myself busy from thinking about drugs/alcohol by thinking about other drugs :P Anyone tried acetyl-l-carnitine for depression [1, 2] ?

"Four randomized clinical studies (RCT) demonstrated the superior efficacy of ALC over placebo (PBO) in patients with depression. Two RCTs showed its superior efficacy over PBO in dysthymic disorder, and 2 other RCTs showed that it is equally effective as fluoxetine and amisulpride in treatment of dysthymic disorder. ALC was also effective in improving depressive symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia and minimal hepatic encephalopathy. It was also found to be equally tolerable to PBO and better tolerable than fluoxetine and amisulpride. In conclusion, ALC may be potentially effective and tolerable next treatment option with novel action mechanisms for patients with depression, in particular older population and patients with comorbid medical conditions who are vulnerable to adverse events from antidepressants." [3]

" Agents such as LAC that regulate metabolic factors and reduce glutamate overflow could rapidly ameliorate depression and could also be considered for treatment of insulin resistance in depressed subjects. " [4]

I'm keen to give it a whirl, my mood hasn't been great but I stink of fish whenever I try and use it. Assuming it's trimethylamine and could be from using too high a dose, or do I have a dodgy product I'm using? There doesn't seem to be that many people using it for depression which is surprising, given it's tolerabilty and effectiveness

Its like strong vinegar (to the olf. senses). Also a good supplement for those seeking to improve body composition.  I think its right up the top of the list.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

It tastes tolerable and as you write, I just stink of fish after using it. Seems like my body is breaking it down to trimethylamine.

I was going to say whats the harm but stinking like fish...  Not a good look man.

I've never noticed this but never took huge doses either.

/contribution

• Like 1

What doses were you using for your body composition enhancing purposes, @ThunderIdeal? I was trying out 2g doses awhile back and was told I stank so that scared me off using it much more.

Hard to say mate.  A few caps a day maybe.  Now I just mix a little powder into my day sometimes.

Riboflavin can cancel the stench?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Fair enough, thanks for your reply. B2 might be a possible direction to look into, thanks for that :)

Wherw I found the b2 tip the stinky culprit was on 5grams.  Somebody else suggested a maximum useful dose of 3g.  

• Like 1