The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bigred

Can you re strerilize grainjars after a contamination

I have had some grain spawn that had some bread mold on it can i run it through the cooker again

What are peoples thoughts on this

Yeah, sure. I'm sure most people will tell you not to do that, but you can.

The molds and spores will be completely destroyed, the only question is how much of the nutrients from the grain have been depleted, and that depends on how extensive the contamination was.

• Like 5

it was at 5% then trich mold kicked in only a few days old so a lot of nutes should be there.Just worried about water content

Yeah, sure. I'm sure most people will tell you not to do that, but you can.

The molds and spores will be completely destroyed, the only question is how much of the nutrients from the grain have been depleted, and that depends on how extensive the contamination was.

I tend to agree.

But for me grain is cheap and easily accessible, so I have always just made more.

Plus I have sandy soil, so I figure that throwing out into the lawn will help the grass.

Also, since I usually use WBS the birds love me for it.

• Like 2

I've never reused moldy grain either, but the fact is it can be done if you need or want to for some reason.

Water content can be a problem, yeah, but if they've been sitting for two weeks or less, they should be fine. Injecting a few ml's of water also couldn't hurt, probably.

Edited by Berengar

If I was supervising a sterile lab and someone suggested that, the only way I'd approve it would be so the contaminated grain could be disposed of safely and not spread a cloud of spores into the environment or onto the clothes of the staff in the lab if I needed to recycle the jars. That would be a moment of weakness though, my first thought would be to get rid of it jar and all. Bag it, seal it and trash it.

If you know it's contaminated fuck it off straight away.

It's a poor management strategy to keep contaminated cultures around unless it's vital to the survival of an endangered species.

• Like 1

If you did choose to recycle contam grain jars you wouldn't open the jars, you'd inject a bit of water into the fae holes or filter disc to rehydrate the grain, cover the tops with foil n then pressure cook them again, bit longer than normal to make sure all the contam and anything else is all dead, it will stink far worse than normal.

If you wait till the contam has spread throughout the jar then you got bucklies, if you recook when you first notice the contam you may have a chance.

Grain isn't that expensive, even organic rye etc so why you'd bother I dunno, availability maybe or urgency.

• Like 1