The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Change

Super Pedro ID

Here are 2 plants, both sold to me as super pedro, both look different

Ive got some more super pedros that are different again, ill post them up later on

for now, what are your thoughts, id labeled them SP1 and SP2, which if any do you think is the real deal?

feel free to post up pictures of your own super pedro, for compassion

SP1

sp1.png

SP2

sp2.png

Both together

sp1%20and%202.png

Gotta love the confusing world of cactus id

More then anything, i just dont want to be passing on miss labeled plants, further contributing to the confusion and lack of accurately labeled clones.

• Like 2

Agreed - your "SP1" looks the goods.

I think your "SP2" looks like it's definitely not a Super Pedro though, personally.

• Like 1

I thought it could possibly be cause of different growing conditions Species 2 might be stressed,root bound, grown in more sun etc but yeh I think they are different, one major difference I notice is spp2 the areoles point up quite a bit

• Like 1

^^Ive had SP2 for 3 years longer then SP1, so its safe to say its probably getting close to becoming root bound.

They are both next to each other in the same location, and are planted in very similar growing mediums.

SP2's pot is slightly larger then SP1, but SP1 has slight girthier pups

The only other major difference is SP2 has colored pebbles on top of her pot, you must flower if you want to earn colored pebbles in my garden :) Ive been hoping this reward system will convince the other plants to follow suit and flower.

• Like 2

sp 1 looks pretty much like every other super pedro I have seen, just thought I would suggest other possibilities for there differences other than the seller sold you a miss labelled plant. I like the coloured stone idea : )

• Like 1

If the consensus is that SP2 is not a true super pedro, i really dont mind, and wont love her any less. Out of all my cactus, SP2 would be the most difficult to part with due to its ability to provide a fantastic floral display, and the fact it was a gift from a close friend that ultimately kick started my cactus fascination many years ago.

SP2 has had a hard life, in her first year the bass rotted out, from over watering and fertilizing, which was one of the reason i joined this forum, to get some advice on how to save SP2, thanks to some good advice i managed to save the tip and reroot her

It took me a few years to learn how to take good care of her, but after an approprate growing location was isolated, she really kicked into gear

Thanks for your comments everyone, :)

Much appreciated

Edit - spelling

Edited by Change
  • Like 3

sp1 defo super p.

sp2 very hard to tell. looks like it could have cuzco, bridgesii and pachanoi in it. but a couple of those curved spines make me wonder about other genetics. thats a hard one for sure.

The second plant is definitely a Scopulicola. And there aren´t so many of them on the market. It´s definitely possible that it´s a Super Pedro Hybrid that just looks different because of the input of the father.

• Like 1

yeah eg. any suggestions as to who the daddy might be?

EG what makes you say scop? its a tricky one for sure, those pronounced aeroles are screaming something but im not sure what.

yeah I can see scop in there but mine are alot fatter. dont have such pronounced aeroles among other things.

defiantly a hybrid.

would like to see more guessing as to whats hybridized with what there.

It´s really hard to guess the father as many crosses turn out a lot like the mother. There are some crosses with strong dominance of the father but it´s not the norm. But the plant is definitely a Scop, without the slightest shadow of a doubt. Scops have those pronounced bloated ribs, which are different to the ones on other Trichos. And the spination is typical too. Even FR991 has those small stump spines, that can be very long depending on how it´s grown. Beautiful.

Change, your pics are amazing. The flower confirms that it´s a Scop, because it´s very different from other San pedro flowers. Totally amazing because it´s really rare to have Scops other than the one from Ritter. Hope you get some seeds from it one day.

I have 5 scops and a super pedro. And it dont looks like a pure scop. For me its a hybrid of pach and scop.

Thanks for your help everyone

Now id like to play a game, i know what this is but can you guess ?

ill post up the answer in a week, :)

what%20is%20this.png

• Like 1

scopulicola X bridgesii

• Like 1

I was thinking the same^^ thing or just scop cross something which is also how super pedro came about....

Edited by Master B

well that didnt take long

Great pick Zed

Its scop X bridgesii TIG

• Like 1

Haha! I've got a couple of scop X bridges and it looked so similar. :)

The fat yellow spines on the brand new growth are what reminded me of mine. But yeah, it retains a very scop-like and SP-ish vibe to it. I like how scop seems to be very dominant when it's the mother. I have grown some scop X fat spach that you would never guess had spach in their genetics.

• Like 2

:):) here's superpedro x /scop x bridge/ ,GoOnThen seeds:

superpedro%2Bx%2Bscop%2Bbridge%2B%25282%

superpedro%2Bx%2Bscop%2Bbridge.JPG

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 1