The Corroboree
GorrilaGardener

Question about P.F spore printing

Can I make a decent/clean sporeprint/s from mushrooms obtained from growing using pf tek? I'm thinking it would be hard, due to contamination, because of all that outside air that gets circulated in the sgfc, fanning especially. Can anyone chime in with some advice? And no I don't want to do mono's. Tried that and failed, seems like a waste of time when you fail epically compared to a more guaranteed smaller yield from pf...

Cheers,

-schoey

Edited by Schoey88

definitely can , if it releases spores, it can be printed

http://www.shroomery.org/11317/Making-clean-spore-prints

especially when a species has been raised in protected pampered conditions

I'm pretty sure they'll be bigger healthier and print well

good luck and Welcome to SAB!

Cheers mate, I'm guessing I can skip the SAB if I have a laminar flow hood. Obviously I have to cover em once printing. But what I'm saying is wont there be contams all over the top of the caps. Unless they are grown in completely airtight conditions air will carry contams in to your grow chamber. Logically it seems unavoidable unless you grow in monotubs. Is my logic flawed?

I believe their immune systems may be what is keeping things like that at bay

and I'm pretty sure I have read that the mushroom keeps it's self sterile somewhere.. wish I could link you to that info I don't remember where I got it.

i think if the surrounding area is clean and kept well it may be less of an issue but it's a good point.

maybe someone else can chime in with the precision specifics for you?

and good luck either way mate.

• Like 1

Yes, clean prints may obtained from PF cakes.

The fanning that PF cakes get is no different than the fanning that bulk tubs gets.

I think that the spores being tucked up into the gills offers a lot of protection.

However during the printing process you should take every precaution to assure cleanliness.

I hate working in SAB. But, making prints is the one time I time I have to use it (I don't have a flow hood).

I could get into the why and how to grow bulk, but that would throw this whole thread off topic.

Pick some before the veils break and then cut the veil with a scalpel in a clean environment and then quickly make your prints.

If the print is done in still air (under a glass) any contamination on the surface of the cap will have minimal impact.

You can swab the cap with alcohol before you do if you are really concerned, but alcohol can melt a cap if you use too much, so go easy.

Edited by Sally

Pick some before the veils break and then cut the veil with a scalpel in a clean environment and then quickly make your prints.

If the print is done in still air (under a glass) any contamination on the surface of the cap will have minimal impact.

You can swab the cap with alcohol before you do if you are really concerned, but alcohol can melt a cap if you use too much, so go easy.

You don't want to pick the cap too soon or it may not expel many spores.

Also, I don't like doing it under glass because the prints don't dry enough for my liking (I use a SAB).

Thanks for the replies guys! You have atleast made me feel a little less paranoid about taking them without it being as big an issue as I imagined. If I lightly swab the caps with alcohol and make sure I do everything under the hood then place a sterilized container over the prints till they dry, then turn the flow hood on again before I bag them I should be right. Right? Haha

Cue - the reason I had said about monotubs being 'sterile' is because of a tek I had seen that I assumed most people would use. Where you have roughly 6 holes in the tubs, stuffed with polyfill, then a fan circulating air in the room. Therefore not having to take the lid off to fan and the polyfill essentially filtering out nasties

And is it just me or does the follow this thread feature not work properly? I don't seem to be getting updates on this one. Unless it didn't subscribe when I clicked it for some reason?

Are you sure the alcohol wont kill the spores? Im not sure, but i would imagine the spores could be killed by the alcohol. I mean thats why we use it in sterilization, right?

Are you sure the alcohol wont kill the spores? Im not sure, but i would imagine the spores could be killed by the alcohol. I mean thats why we use it in sterilization, right?

I believe you are right blasty. No one here has said that I should have an issue, I guess there is only one way to find out!

If I had to speculate, I would say that Sally meant that you would swab the top of the cap, not the bottom where the spores are.

Yeh I figured he meant that, I thought blastie may have been worried about bleed through of isopropyl through the cap, though it shouldn't be an issue I would assume. Is it really even necessary? Surely most of you guys have made prints before? Haha

I need a print so i can make more prints and help others in need. I have all necessary equipment but cant find a print. Ive only gotten into mycology in the last 4 months and picked my first edibles today. Suillus granulatus = fuckin delicious. Im nerding out hard on this subject lol.

I wipe every thing down with alcohol even the foil. Then I let the alcohol evaporate before printing.

I've never wiped the cap down. I'm assuming that if there is any mold spores on the cap that they are staying adhered in a SAB.

Most hobbyist don't have a flowhood so we aren't always going to get 100% clean every time. But we can improve our odds thus decreasing the loss percentage.

I play the numbers game. I may inoculate 80 jars so I don't mind losing 10% (8 jars), but I don't want to 90% (72 jars).

Contams happen so we just need to get use to it. I have a saying to keep the hobby from driving me bat shit crazy "If it was easy it would be boring".

I need a print so i can make more prints and help others in need. I have all necessary equipment but cant find a print. Ive only gotten into mycology in the last 4 months and picked my first edibles today. Suillus granulatus = fuckin delicious. Im nerding out hard on this subject lol.

It's addictive hey blasty! I suggest you check out the for sale/trade section and see what's on offer. If you find nothing post in the wanted section. There are heaps of friendly souls on the forums I have found, I'm sure some one will be happy to oblige!

• Like 1

Cut foil squares to suit size of fruit to be printed
Lay sheets in overlapping pattern in a foil 'Oven tray/BBQ tray'

Cover with foil

Bake @ 350F for 30 mins
Move to SAB remove foil lid
Place fruit on foil squares
Replace foil lid

Wait 24hrs
Remove fruit, wait 12-24 hrs (with foil lid on)
Close foil squares on two sides, leave the third side open
Place in chamber with 'Damprid' to remove last of moisture wait 24hrs
Place prints in sealed baggie

Remember heat sterilises, alcohol sanitises

For wild prints apply the same process but form a hook & stand from an oversized paperclip to hold the cap (bake this in the tray with the foil)

Apply same process as above but:

The cap will not touch the foil, but still dispense spores
After 24hrs remove cap & stand transfer to a fresh tray to print, this will be an acceptable 'wild' print as most of the contaminants will be on the 1st print

Remember to advise the recipient that the print is 'wild'

• Like 3