The Corroboree
Conv3rgence

"Gnosis" Cuzcoensis

Very pretty plant, but sold and promoted as a Peruvianus by SAB, even still now.

post-16827-0-73755400-1440418934_thumb.j

Having tried to track down a single Peruvianus in Perth for a few months now with no success, I was somewhat dissapointed to discover this was indeed a Cuzco. Its still a pretty plant but I was curious about whether or not it had 'inner beauty' given it is named "Gnosis"? Is there anyone here more familiar with this plant that could enlighten me?

One more thing, I found out that CactusLand is actually allowed to send live plants to WA (amazing). They have a no-name Peruvianus going for $30 at 15cm rooted which is quite expensive to be honest, and this doesnt even include the oostage costs. I was curious to know the reputation of CactusLand peruvianus if anyone knows. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

post-16827-0-73755400-1440418934_thumb.jpg

post-16827-0-73755400-1440418934_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cactusland are great. There plants are very well maintained and grown by professionals. I highly recomend cactus land.

Plus there peruvianus is a peruvianus and there cuzco is cuzco.

There peruvianus is a really nice plant.

Edited by wert

Frequently I have seen cactusland at Vic markets selling the roseii2 clone. Really beautiful cactus. You should call them and tell them what your after. I'm sure they could help you.

Naming and renaming plants is a big problem for us. Take 'gnosis' for example because you mentioned it. The seed was sold by 'Gnostic Garden' in the Uk for many years in the naughties, imported by 'Magickal Botanical' into australia and distributed by 'Medicine Garden' as their primary T.peruvianus plant for about 10 years. We also sourced about 50 seedlings from "Magickal Botanicals" in 2002 and about the same number were sold and given away under the name Trichocereus peruvianus Gnosis by Magickal Botanicals at the EB1 or EB2 conference. This is one of the most established strains Trichocereus strains in all the mature ethnobotanical collections.

If we were to rename it then suddenly there would be a huge amount of confusion. It is something we do when the plant has only been available for a short while or when it originates from our collection, but is often difficult to do with established strains/clones. Add to that the fact that the whole Trichocereus speciation taxonomy is incredibly arbitrary and the value of renaming decreases dramatically over time.

Similar issues exist with the KK strains.

That said, our last taxonomic review of Trichs was about 6 years ago and followed Anderson. This has been superseded, so a full review of our labelling has been on our mind for a little while. As this webstore version allows us a lot more space for searchable information we will probably move all names to current best possible ID and add the name history into the subtitle so that everyone can follow the changes.

• Like 4

That makes sense. It is a very confusing taxonomy with trichocereus / echinopsis. Thanks for the reply, I wasnt having a dig at SAB, its labelled the same everywhere else also.