The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Quixote

Loph seedlings stopped growing?

I successfully sprouted three little loph seedlings, and they look healthy enough, but stopped growing.

They basically haven't grown since they sprouted, each of them has those little hairs/baby spines, they are dark green colour, but they just won't grow!

In the beginning, I kept them under plastic wrap, but I took that off because I feared mold (it killed a previous batch).

Then I had them in the sun for some time, they turned reddish so I put them in the shade again. Now they are no longer red, and I have tried having them in half shade. In the last couple of weeks I put them in quite a lot of sun, thinking they might miss sun and warmth. They don't seem to be hurt, but won't grow either.

What can I do?

I fertilized them only once.

i recently grew out a tub full of these guys....seeds were planted on 4-10-15 and they remained in the sealed plastic tub for 2 months under florescent lights. Month 3 I cracked opened the lid to harden them off, but still under the lights. Last week I put the tub in my gh where the seedlings & plants are in full sun but uv protected. Currently they're .5 cm in size and growing quite nicely

back atcha, at what age would you put a newborn infant out in the full sun? :wink:

Don't they always do this? I thought they grow fast initially as the plant uses the reserves that were stored in the seed, then the growth stalls for awhile until the seedlings get a foothold & send out roots to find their own food.

• Like 1

Don't they always do this? I thought they grow fast initially as the plant uses the reserves that were stored in the seed, then the growth stalls for awhile until the seedlings get a foothold & send out roots to find their own food.

I don't know. It's my first attempt at growing these from seeds. I don't have any heating mat or flourescent lights, just a little pot in a window sill...

I hope you are right. They don't seem to be unhappy, just not in the mood for growing.

Might be because they need the warmth, but without the direct sun. And the only way I have of making it hot for them is to place them in the sun...

Edited by Quixote

You can put a piece of cloth or a few layers of tissue paper on it and place it in the sun to warm up and not getting burnt at the same time.

However you have to put enough tissues to diffuse all the extra light.

• Like 2

Good idea about the tissue paper. But since they are not turning red, I guess they are not getting burned?

Update:

I put the seedlings under some plastic cover again, with ventilation holes. But one of them died because of mold, so I removed the lid again. Now there are two left. They look healthy, green, 5mm diameter.

On rainy days I take them away from the window and place them under a a halogen spot in my kitchen (propped up by a bottle of Glenfiddich 15).

The idea is that they need more heat than my North European window-sill is able to provide, but that on the other hand, the summer sunlight up here is too bright. So, under the halogen they should get a bit less intense light, but a whole lot more heat.

Edited by Quixote

Quixote - incandescent lights, including halogen - are totally the wrong spectrum for raising virtually any type of seedlings. My standard light for cactus seed raising is a pair of 20W 6000K fluoros - from a Chinese bazaar for a few Euros each. In the winter I put my seed trays on a reptile heat mat (from a pet store) plugged into a lamp dimmer to control the temperature.

post-15731-0-18478900-1444837048_thumb.j

post-15731-0-18478900-1444837048_thumb.jpg

post-15731-0-18478900-1444837048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanishfly

Quixote - incandescent lights, including halogen - are totally the wrong spectrum for raising virtually any type of seedlings. My standard light for cactus seed raising is a pair of 20W 6000K fluoros - from a Chinese bazaar for a few Euros each. In the winter I put my seed trays on a reptile heat mat (from a pet store) plugged into a lamp dimmer to control the temperature.

Not sure what you mean about the spectrum, as halogen is supposed to match 99 pct of the sun's spectrum? At least that's what I read...

No incandescent bulb can have a colour temperature close to the sun´s 5800K. I use 6000K fluoros.

No incandescent bulb can have a colour temperature close to the sun´s 5800K. I use 6000K fluoros.

Like all incandescent light bulbs, a halogen lamp produces a continuous spectrum of light, from near ultraviolet to deep into the infrared.[13] Since the lamp filament can operate at a higher temperature than a non-halogen lamp, the spectrum is shifted toward blue, producing light with a higher effective color temperature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp

Sure, halogen lamps operate at a higher temperature than standard incandescent bulbs. But no incandescent lamp can produce a colour temperature higher than 3700K - the melting point of its tungsten filament !!!!! For your cacti sprouts invest in some 6000K fluoros.

Edited by Spanishfly

I think I mixed up colour temperature with CRI - Colour Rendering Index.

So, basically, my cactus will look its natural colours when under a halogen lamp, but that doesn't necesarily mean the cactus is happy.

I wonder if halogens are completely useless for seedlings, or if they are just not optimal?

Edited by Quixote

You said it, bedofspines / about all they are good for !!!!!

Edited by Spanishfly

So Zelly are you saying we can grow plants under halogen/incandescent or are you just saying they have a Broad colour sprectrum.. . Because everything I've read about growing with incandescent says yes you can use them but the results are shitty..

Would love to learn otherwise man as naturally the bulbs you are linking are much cheaper than. HPs, CFl or whatever are the popular grow light options at the moment.. .

I have read they are great for. Red spectrum but all those graphs don't mean. Much to me.. ....

Please elaborate?

I wrote this twice - sorry all

Edited by Spanishfly

OH FGS - how many times does it have to be said ??!!! You cannot grow cacti seedlings under incandescent lights - which includes halogen. Get some fluoros - if you are so impoverished that you can´t even stretch to a couple of fluoros then just give it up. Jeez what do we have here - schoolkids with NO income at all??!!!

You can, but only if your Richie Rich, and have lots of fans.

The luminous efficacy of a typical incandescent bulb is 16 lumens per watt, compared with 60 lm/W for a compact fluorescent bulb or 150 lm/W for some whiteLED lamps.[3]

- edited grammar.

Edited by Bedofspines

If you´re RICH (get the basic grammar right)??? My two fluoros cost me €8 - if you can´t afford that pittance you should give up !!

Edited by Spanishfly
  • Like 1

Sure, halogen lamps operate at a higher temperature than standard incandescent bulbs. But no incandescent lamp can produce a colour temperature higher than 3700K - the melting point of its tungsten filament !!!!! For your cacti sprouts invest in some 6000K fluoros.

By the way, the k in 3700k refers to Kelvin. Not degrees.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

1600 melting point of the glass.

Edited by Bedofspines

Yes, Bedofspines - I sort of know what a Kelvin is - I used to teach physics - first at school then in the Royal Navy.

Initially a degree Absolute, then a degree Kelvin - then just a Kelvin (K). The temperature interval is the same as a degree Celsius ( C ).

Edited by Spanishfly