The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SayN

Speeding fine. Worth contesting in court?

So driving back from down south I moved to overtake a car that i'd just courteously let in at the end of a dedicated overtaking lane. Guy was balking and doing 80kmh in a 100kmh zone. Anyway we rounded the corner and the road ahead was clear so I started overtaking only to find the prick speeding up (it was downhill I suppose). At that moment a car coming in the other direction appeared at the foot of the hill so I planted my foot and pulled in front of the car. Sadly the oncoming car was highway patrol and they merely flashed their pretty lights and I immediately pulled over.

To cut a long story short, I copped a $436 speeding fine and received a mini lecture from the sow that it is not permissible to do over the speed limit - even to overtake... yeah, right - is that even possible?

I applied online for a review but today received a reply saying that i would have to have a 10-year clean record to even qualify. ie. mandatory sentencing. Pay up or else.

I feel like taking it to court for the hell of it and on principle, but am I just wasting my time (and more money)?

You are not allowed to exceed the speed limit to overtake.

Simple as that.

Its a kick in the guts but you might have to just cop it sweet and learn from your mistakes. Dont be courteous

If you are short of $ you could ask for financial hardship and get put on a payment plan.

Edited by DeadStar

I personally wouldn't take it to court myself, but... Did they actually record your speed? If not, where's the proof?

If you in any way admitted to doing over the limit, then no.

If you didn't there is a possibility...

Straight con job po-po style is to approach you and ask some shit like "Did you know that you were doing X speed in an X zone?" :huh:

Standard answer has to be "I don't believe I was going that fast". I know of numerous cases where cops have given tickets and then not shown up in court, or that cameras and radar have been shown to be less than accurate, and the case is thrown out.

I once got done for not stopping for 3 seconds at a stop sign for >$300. Fucking bullshit, and I did everything I could to overturn it, unsuccessfully though :unsure:

I now on principle disagree and debate the point with all cops re speeding or driving infringements, because it is a fucking rort IMO. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Wrong place at the wrong time. Demerit points and coins down the shita unfortunatly

• Like 4

Thanks for the responses.

I'm just gonna wear the fucking thing.