The Corroboree
wert

cacti cuts rooting upright or logging?

So just going by my own experiance you get more growth standing your cacti cut up in the mix as opposed to laying it down.

Perhaps in the longer term you may see better growth bit short term you need to remember the more green exposed to light the more energy your cacti have up there sleeve.

I believe standing cuts upward gains greater more responsive growth due to light exposure over a greater surface of green.

Your thoughts?

like em upright and erected

dont like loggiing one bit tbh , no particular reason other than cactardos should look like they look lol

DE granular kitty litter works a treat for rooten em and some horticultural gravel for sturdification if theyre large barsts

, just smashed pelecyph degraft on kitty litter too

• Like 1

Log cuttings don't look that unnatural , like when a big branch comes down and takes root. I thought logs might produce more pups but in my experience it doesn't seem to be the case and I don't like using ga-3 or hormones if I can help it, they just seem to grow better/quicker when upright, tho I only have a small amount of logs to compare

• Like 2

lol, if anyone else has that problem look for the indentation or v mark thing above the areole : )

• Like 1

I don't do logs very often either. But I got this big cutting when the tip had already started to etiolate so I laid it down. This pic is from late last year so all the pups are at least twice the size now.

9 actively growing tips. :wacko:

post-13830-0-22015400-1432866856_thumb.j

post-13830-0-22015400-1432866856_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-22015400-1432866856_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

its also good for the lazt gardener, oh your pach is growing too high? chop and drop lol

I don't do logs very often either. But I got this big cutting when the tip had already started to etiolate so I laid it down. This pic is from late last year so all the pups are at least twice the size now.

9 actively growing tips. :wacko:

attachicon.gifPC pachanoi log grow 31-10-2014.jpg

So is the log 2yrs old or what? It is a long section of pach so im not surprized.

I put a 2ft scop on its side and it only grew i stem about 2ft high in 5yrs. That said the equivelant planted upright grew 5 or 6 ft in same time.

9 pups! Good to look at actually.

wouldn't the logs over time grow more pups? especially if you plants a tip, i mean, there's only so many basal areoles to pup from right?

So is the log 2yrs old or what? It is a long section of pach so im not surprized.

I put a 2ft scop on its side and it only grew i stem about 2ft high in 5yrs. That said the equivelant planted upright grew 5 or 6 ft in same time.

9 pups! Good to look at actually.

I don't know how old the column was when I got it, a house not far from me was being demolished and they pulled put their cactus. I asked for a log when I saw it had been just sitting on their curb, they were happy for me to take it.

It's been planted as a log in my garden since early 2014. The pic above was from 31/10/2014. It had no pups when I planted it. I'll throw up an updated pic tomorrow.

I did a bridgesii log that was about 30 cm long and I have 3 pups on that, so not much more than a bridgesii might do when planted upright I suppose.

wouldn't the logs over time grow more pups? especially if you plants a tip, i mean, there's only so many basal areoles to pup from right?

Dont forget with each basal pup comes new aeroles..........and so on

I've only ever planted as a log once when I couldn't for the life of me work out the right way up lol

speaking from personal first hand experiences, trichocereus plants will grow roots and continue on growing even when planted upside down, its just gonna take a bit longer to get restablished

• Like 1

Here's the PC log grow now. Please excuse the weeds, at this time of year they grow with amazing vigor and speed!

post-13830-0-36786800-1433119666_thumb.j post-13830-0-18348800-1433119667_thumb.j

And below is another couple of logs I jammed into a pot that was way too small. I put 2 logs each about 25cm long and put 2 cuts in upright at each end of the pot too.

So the log on the left with the 2 big pups is Psycho0 and the one on the right with the three small pups is a "semi-monstrose" bridgesii that doesn't grow semi-monstrose for me. I assume it's one of those ones that's only monstrose when it has poor growing conditions.

post-13830-0-11045800-1433119904_thumb.j

post-13830-0-36786800-1433119666_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-18348800-1433119667_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-11045800-1433119904_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-36786800-1433119666_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-18348800-1433119667_thumb.jpg

post-13830-0-11045800-1433119904_thumb.jpg

• Like 3