The Corroboree
MountainGoat

Seedlings smashed by ants....

So, I'm new to cacti. Planted out a several hundred seeds (various lophs and trichs) and they got smashed by ants. Every seedling within 24 hours... Didn't realise it was ants till it was too late. I live in the wet tropics, and at this time of year I don't need a humidity dome, so they were inside the house on a stand near a window. I've set the few seeds I didn't plant in round 1, this time in raised pots within a water bath to stop the little buggers...

Anyway, my question is, are ants an threat to established cacti? If so, any suggestions for minimising the threat, or defeating an infestation without hurting the plant?

Cheers

^^^^^^ reading from the link you provided, seems that ants are generally good news

Hey Señor,

yeah i was checking out diatomaceous earth. Any suggestions in how to use? Do you only use it when a problem arises? I noticed that it needs to be reapplied after rain/watering, so if its used continuously is there problem with nutrient build up?

Guest Señor Corrochio

I was referring to the fact that many species farm parasites on the host plant. Of course it all depends on what the plant is and what species the ant is.

Guest Señor Corrochio

Hey Señor,

yeah i was checking out diatomaceous earth. Any suggestions in how to use? Do you only use it when a problem arises? I noticed that it needs to be reapplied after rain/watering, so if its used continuously is there problem with nutrient build up?

I have never actually used it myself, but I don't think there are any issues with it building up I remember reading people use large amounts of the stuff in mineral type soil mixes (I guess using too much of the fine powder might mess up the aeration of the soil though). Also you probably wouldn't need to apply too often anyways.

If the plants are in small pots you can probably try flooding them as well.

Edited by Señor Corrochio

Thanks Señor

Edited by MountainGoat

I've had ants make an nest in a cereus and farm scale on it. Super annoying!

• Like 1

Some cacti have an organ on the areoles called extrafloral nectaries. They excrete a sugary liquid to attract ants and then the ants fight off other insects for the plant.

• Like 3

I think that's what the little black ants must be doing on my crested chollas, farming some sort of delicious parasite.