The Corroboree
Brendo

Seedlings covered in mould - Need a quick fix please

Hi all,

I've recently sown a bunch of J3 x Psycho0 seed I received as part of a giveaway. I've always nuked my previous soil batches before sowing seed but was time-stricken (and lazy) this time round so I figured if I don't nuke the soil I miiiight be okay, and I'll see how we go. I was dead wrong, and have learnt two valuable lessons. Nuke every single container, and use less, wayyy less organic matter.

I've lost probably a quarter of the batch, the rest still look healthy. Are they all doomed? Can I spray a fungicide which won't kill the cacti?

I've sprayed with water/vinegar but it doesn't seem to help.

post-13898-0-43338900-1420700156_thumb.j

If I nuke another container & caaaareeefully move them across do you think a few would be successful? Only need 1 seed for a plant.

Thanks!

post-13898-0-43338900-1420700156_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-43338900-1420700156_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brendo
  • Like 1

Looks fine to me brendo

• Like 1

Hi Brendo, not a big deal! Please Stop spraying them with Vinegar and other chemicals that modify the pH Level. Just keep of the Lid and let the soil dry out. Make sure that the seedlings don´t get too hot. You can apply a fungicide or sulfur. But most important thing is very low air humidity and no water until the soil has dried up.

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks for the swift replies. Sorry I should have specified, the photo was taken after spraying with vinegar water. The mould returned in a few days. Photo was more for size/age reference. There's no mould on the soil but it completely covered a few small specimens.

I'll keep the lid off, with indirect sunlight only, they're in my room so heat won't be an issue. What's to stop the mould returning once I re-humidify the container though EG?

Well, depends. Sulfur works, but it sometimes makes problems because of the pH and if you want to start another germinating cycle after the soil has dried up, it might make the remaining seed unviable. If you are done germinating, you can use a little sulfur. Besides, fungicide would be an Option. Sometimes when you dry the soil up, the mold goes away. Sometimes you get rid of it, sometimes not. How many seeds did you sprinkle in there btw? If you sow out more than 100 seeds at once, chances are higher that a mold can overgrow it. That´s why it´s better to germinate less seeds per container.

• Like 1

When indoors .. a balanced humidity - air exchange may be achieved by a small ventilator..

I keep mine onto the fridge every night to use the airflow / warmth along the winter months..

..and prefer shady outdoors rest of the year for starting tricho seedlings..

The lid of the container may be gradually removed after the first month ..

I had good results outdoors, keeping the lid on when day and completely removing it during night-time, as well.. :):)

Edited by mysubtleascention
  • Like 1

A light dusting with cinnamon always worked for me. Don't use anything else for mold. I even use it on plant wounds and I never have issues.

• Like 1

Spray H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide) at 3% to combat cobweb mold. You need to increase air circulation by venting out your tray atleast once a day. I personally never 'nuke' my soil and after some trial and error I don't get much problems with mold anymore by adding quite a bit of perlite/pumice and venting them once a day. You can also let the soil dry out a little but not not more than a day at such a young age.

Thanks for all the help guys, fairly certain these little guys will be ok. EG to be honest I'd say around 200 seeds? Good point on starting less per container, I'll keep that in mind.

Hi Brendo, you would be surprised how limitation of sown seeds reduces the problems with the Cobbweb Mold. The thicker the layer of seeds is, the greater the chance to have mold.

• Like 1

I use chinosol 1g on 1l water. It works very good against mold. I never lose one seedling. I dont know did you get it in australia.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought you could put them in like full sun for a few minutes and that will kill most of the mold?

I recently sowed 3 types of cacti seeds (8 days ago). I have 2 germinated so far, but 2 trays don't look quite moist enough. Am I able to quickly remove the lid and spray a fine mist of water inside?

Thanks in advance!

I recently sowed 3 types of cacti seeds (8 days ago). I have 2 germinated so far, but 2 trays don't look quite moist enough. Am I able to quickly remove the lid and spray a fine mist of water inside?

Thanks in advance!

I quick spray my tricho sproutlings once every day .. :)

Edited by mysubtleascention

Sure. You can and should open the lid every now and then to control and bring in some fresh air. Besides, it´s better to water less first and add some more later. The reverse (too much water at the beginning) is a real problem and usually kills the seedlings.

• Like 1

I quick spray my tricho sproutlings once every day .. :)

Sure. You can and should open the lid every now and then to control and bring in some fresh air. Besides, it´s better to water less first and add some more later. The reverse (too much water at the beginning) is a real problem and usually kills the seedlings.

Thank you both for your input!

I have 3 germinated now, hopefully a heap more pop up soon (put at least 20 in each tray)

Added some more moisture, looked at them today and about 12 more have germinated. Happy days

• Like 2

Great, gimli Always happy to help beginners raising cacti from seed because it opens them so many great opportunities! Its a rewarding feeling to help someone to make his first steps in such an interesting field. So yeah, dont hesitate to post if you run in trouble!

• Like 2

Great, gimli Always happy to help beginners raising cacti from seed because it opens them so many great opportunities! Its a rewarding feeling to help someone to make his first steps in such an interesting field. So yeah, dont hesitate to post if you run in trouble!

I have 41x Bridgesii x Super Pedro

9x Super Pedro x Bridgesii

17x Scop x Pach

Pretty happy with my first time trying to germ cacti seeds :)

Edited by Gimli
  • Like 2